Westward Bound

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by greyhawk50, May 10, 2012.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I"ll not bore anyone with a lot of details. Just checking in. All is well & we're enjoying our time away from home.
    Day 1 took us beyond St Louis.
    Day 2 took us to Tulsa Ok.
    We started day 3 with a visit to the J.M. Davis & Historical Museum. Well worth the time. Then on to Elk City.
    So far, the weather has been great. We followed several miles of Route 66 in each state before hitting the Interstate. Rt. 66 isn't much different than any other state route but at least I can say I was there.
    Day 4; Leaving in a few for Texas & New Mexico. Looking forward to seeing a change in topography. So far, just lots of rolling highway, trees and grass. Not a lot different than home.

Grey

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Where in Texas are you going to be?

3. greyhawk50

We passed through the Pan Handle on I-40.
    We are currently at a KOA at Tucumcari N.M.
    It's a cool evening with blustery winds. Feels like a front is passing through.
    We may spend some time in Santa Rosa at the Auto Museum. Also considering a stop at Acoma Pueblo along with a trip to Fort Sumner.
    We don't need to be home until June 7 th. so we might just as well look around while we are here.
    We are scheduled to meet one of my wife,s classmate in Mesa Az, sometime Sunday. According to the N.M. Welcome Center worker, Mesa is about 10 hours away so we have time to burn. They have a quest house and are taking Monday & Tuesday as vacation to act as our guides. They are planning a trip to show us a "real desert", whatever that is and then begin our tour of the Grand Canyon.
    Planning on 3 days at the South Rim and a couple at the North Rim. Then onto SE Utah to see some of the Parks in that area before heading home.
    Thanks for your time.

Grey

4. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I guess you got your cooler weather. I hope you have a great trip!

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

That sounds like a great time...enjoy it. I know you will love the Grand Canyon.

6. Shooter

Real desert?

When you figure it out please let us know.

7. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Enjoy and have fun !!! And I don't know about anyone else , but I hope you take lots of pics along the way and share some here when you get back home :cool:

8. Shooter

I take a ton of pics when I get the chance to.

9. greyhawk50

We stopped in Santa Rosa at the Auto Museum. Took lots of pics.
    We cancelled Acoma Pueblo and the trip to Fort Sumner. Local reviews on both weren't that positive.
    Burned extra fuel and pushed ourselves to Holbrook, Az.
    Plan for tomorrow is to see the Petrified Forest. If time allows, our friend suggested Walnut Canyon near Flagstaff.

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

All in all, the United States is one beautiful country !!

Enjoy your time travelling and don't forget the pics !!

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

yeah, lots of pictures, Grey! glad you are having a good time.

12. greyhawk50

We left home on Monday and got into Mesa Az. last Saturday evening. Spent 3 days with at my wife's friend's house. Day one was a smoked pork & brisket day. Day two was a trip to Tucson to see the desert & cactus. Day three was at Canyon Lake where we took a boat tour.
    Today was a drive from Mesa to Williams. We took I-17 to Cordes Jct, then 69 to 89a. That took us on a beautiful drive through Prescott, Cottonwood, Sedona, Red Rock Canyon and up the Pine covered mountains as we ascended to 5300 ft. and above as we approached Flagstaff. Most beautiful drive.
    We have tons of pictures but not enough time to sort & post. Later.
    We transferred pictures to the laptop while in Mesa. Won't be able to transfer anymore until we fine/buy a SD adapter. We don't have the camera cable & the laptop doesn't have a SD port.
    Grey

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  13. Shooter

I understand about the pics.

We look forward to when you have the time.

14. greyhawk50

Today was dedicated to touring the South Rim of the Grand Canyon. Words can not begin to describe the awesome beauty. I don't think pictures can capture the splendor of this unique creation. We're on a budget so there won't be any train, boat or helicopter rides.
    Tomorrow will be a leisure day. I lost one set of camper keys today. I may try to track them down with a few phone calls. If not, I'll try to get a set made. It's a good thing that my wife had the spare set.

Last edited: May 18, 2012
  15. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

You are right about the Grand Canyon...one of Mother Nature's best efforts. Bummer about those keys.

16. Shooter

That is a good thing.

When do you think you lost them? Worth turning around for?

17. greyhawk50

We believe that they were lost at the Desert View on the East side of the Canyon. That is about 85 miles from where we are camped. Not worth a special trip. But; my wife wanted to go to the Navaho Reservation today - so we did and stopped in to see if they were found & turned in. No, not yet. So we left our info. Time will tell. May have to have a spare set made.

18. Shooter

Any luck? I've been hoping they found them.

19. greyhawk50

So far - no keys. We left our information. Hopefully, they will find them and mail them to us. If not, I'll have another set made.
    We toured parts of Southern Utah ( Bryce Canyon & Red Canyon) and have started home. We are currently spending the night at a KOA in Goodland Kansas. Looks like 3 more days on the road.
    Thanks for ask'n.

20. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Grey, it sounds like you are having a good trip, in spite of losing the keys! have fun and be safe. remember we want lots of pictures! :D