what is it??

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by dads81-DL, Dec 24, 2012.

1. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

Well for Christmas, my mother n law gave my son a Marlin 89C that belonged to her father. From what I can tell it was produced between 1948-1961. this peice was taped to the stock.
    Object is about a bit smaller than 1/4" and has a flat spot on one side of the circled edge Not sure what it is..
    I'm new at this forum stuff.....so I hope the photos attach.

Attached Files:

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I looked for a parts schematic online and no luck. I did find a good disassembly & cleaning video on youtube, All I can suggest is to take it apart and take a look for anything broke or missing, sorry I`m not much help. good luck with the rifle.

OB

3. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

4. dads81-DL

Same here with the schematics. I found the dissemble video on YouTube and do not see any broken parts. Maybe my father n law just thought it went to the 89C. I do know the bolt does not pull back far enough to loaf a round. Looking in the hole on the back of bolt there is a rod/firing pin that looks a little bent. Now just need to find a small drift punch to get the pin out. All in due time.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Contact Marlin and ask them for a parts list and diagram

6. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Maybe this will help.
    Sorry, there isn't too much available on-line.
    Actually. the 89C is a pretty nice rifle. You should enjoy it.
    [​IMG]

7. dads81-DL

I think I have it figured.. Well at least someone did. I was driving by a rifle and pistol club on the way home from a friends place, so I thought I'd bend their ear a little. The mystery piece is the back shoulder of the firing pin that broke off. We pulled out the firing pin retaining pin ,but the firing pin is stuck in the bolt. I should have borrowed the drift set my buddy was going to loan me.

8. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Glad to hear the mysteries solved...

9. dads81-DL

Yep. Got it out of the bolt. Low and behold..... It matches the end of the pin perfectly. Now to order a new one. And firing pin spring.

10. dads81-DL

Took the 89C to a gunsmith along with a Wards Hercules/Stevens model 5000 12 ga double barrel. They should be back in a couple of weeks.

11. dads81-DL

Picked up my sons marlin 89C and my Wards Hercules/Stevens 12 ga from the smith. Man do they look great . Now for it to warm up to get back to the range.