What was your favorite truck ??

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by oldbrass, Jan 13, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

A 1968 dodge with a slant six and 3 on the tree. She met her fate on an ice patch and rolled in 1980...I still miss it

2. Gaterskiner

Gaterskiner Well-Known Member

Mine was A 1976 Toyota Landcrusier with A Chevy 327 in it. It survived being sunk in creeks, going up and down strip mine spoil banks, through timber ground. It did not survive letting my wifes friend go buy cigaretts with it. She ran it into the side of A van parked in the middle of A dark street. The moron had backed A trailer into his driveway and left the van in the street. End of Landcruiser.....and Van.

3. mainecat

mainecat Active Member

I've got an 09 Silverado now, 4x4, reg cab, short box, 2" lift..
    Totally stripped with a 4.3L v6..
    Very smooth ride!!! I love it!!!

Years back I had an 87 Ford F-150 straight 6 300ci 4 speed on the floor.. Served me very well!!!

My worst truck was a 99 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab 4x4 loaded, with a 360ci v8.. It was a dog and a lemon.. Nice looking though!!!

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

my gosh! i've had so many good ones over the years. one of my favorites was my 1988 ford ranger, 2.9 v-6, 5sp manual, put over 160K on it, had about 90K when i bought it. my 2003 dodge ram 1500 reg. cab, 3.7 v-6, automatic, bought new as a birthday present for turning 40! bright red and silver. 1997 nissan 4x4 ext. cab, 2.4 I-4 cylinder, 5sp manual, about 4" lift, 33" tires,winch and rollbar, got rid of because the more lift and bigger tires it got, the less power it had! my 1999 dodge ram 1500 q/c 4x4, 5.2 v-8, 5sp manual, mild lift, 33" tires, a camper shell, massive grille guard and rides like a log wagon! this one is being turned into a hunting truck. it's going to be a beast when finished.

5. LT67

LT67 Active Member

A 1974 Chevy Stepside 4x4. It's equipped from the factory with 4spd mauel tranny, 350ci and dual tanks.... it's just fun to drive around.

6. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

69 Chevy Step side with 305, throttlebody injection, powersteering & brakes, and overdrive tranny. I've replaced every mechanical part on that truck myself at least twice over the years. I drove it my entire Military career only to sell it an buy a new Chevy truck and LandRover for retirement.

My new truck has been all over the United States and Canada without a single failure and my Land Rover has never failed to break on any trip I've taken.

7. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

That I owned?

01 GMC Sierra my Grandfather sold me.

I loved that truck till it's end when I got side swiped by a person with no insurance.

8. Shooter

I was with my FIL yesterday and now hes talking about a Toyota Tundra. Kept saying "I hate toyotos (yeah he says it wrong) but I like that truck.".

We were driving around in my Camry so he must not hate them that much.

9. linne1100

linne1100 Active Member

fave truck

I had a 97 dodge dakota (8' bed) with a 2.0L and 5 speed manual tranny......it was the best 2WD truck in snow I ever saw.....filled the bed with snow, and just went....as long as there was weight over the rear axle, it would go thru it, and I drove it for a lotta years !!

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

People buy what they want.But I suggest buy American.Just my $.02
    What bugs me is you see an WWII veteran, with WWII veterans plate and their driving a Toyota :confused:

11. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Things aren't always as they seem.
    I had 30 years of service with Honda where they made Acura, Accords, Civic. CRV and Element. Domestic content on those models are over 80%. If it were not for them, this area would have very little to offer in the way of jobs. AND, Honda domestic content is greater than most of the Big 3. The engines and transmissions are made here in Ohio. The car bodies came in the receiving dock as a roll of USA made steel.
    Many GMs are Toyoto, i.e. Pontiac Vibe (Toyoto Matrix) as are Saturn. Many Fords are made by Mazda or made in Canada.
    Our local paper reported on 2 Accords that achieved unbelievable miles. One had 625,000 and the other turned the odometer over to zero. Reliability should count for something.
    Don't mean to bicker. Just saying.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm a strong supporter of "buy American" but when the VIN indicates that it's Made in America, I'm OK with buying it. Just because it's made by the Big 3 doesn't mean it's made in America.
    Here is a link to the codes.
    http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Vehicle_Identification_Numbers_(VIN_codes)/Toyota/VIN_Codes

Last edited: Feb 6, 2012
  12. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

I got 2 that are ones that I'd call my favorites .
    A '77 blazer
    an 84 K20

More of a car , but after replacing the tiny v8 in an elcamino with a 350 v8 out of a 72 monte carlo , that was a lot of fun as well

13. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Sounds silly, but my current one. A 2010 Ford F250 4x4 extended cab gas V8 with a fiberglass camper shell. Spent a lot of years in the family business having to use (yes, for free) what the president (little brother) insisted on. Fancy wheels, paint, interiors, stereos, crew cabs, etc. They were all fine but not suited to me.

Now that I left the company I have a 3/4 ton that will pull my tractor, haul the dogs in the back (or in the cab), 4 wheel drive with locking rear diff, painted steel wheels, plain white paint, vinyl floor mats and seats, bench seat like Grandpa's, and a Mossy Oak front seat cover. Only thing fancy is power windows and tilt wheel and I don't think you can get them without that anymore.

I'm a happy boy.

14. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I've always liked the Ford F-150. I've owned several. Never had a bad one. Can't say the same for the other makes that I've owned.
    One of my favorites, many years ago, was a 1957 Ford F-100. It was a std. cab with a short bed. The previous owner had installed a 1962 Ford 390 with an automatic tranny. Now that was a fun truck!! :D
    Wouldn't work very well today. It didn't have power steering or power brakes. :p

15. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

1988 Chevy K5 Blazer
    1993 Ford F-150
    2001 Chevy Blazer
    2010 Chevy Silverado

16. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I've had lots of truck, foreign and domestic, and all were serviceable vehicles. I hate to say my favorite was a 78 Chevy 3/4 ton 400cid 4x4 (I'm a Ford guy). It got 8mpg when we got, but after advancing the cam 4deg, a re-curve kit in the distributor, headers, manual hubs, and a manual kit in the transfer case it got 12mpg with tons of power. I made the wife drive it to work one snowy morning and she never gave it back. She says that truck was her favorite car ever.

17. Shooter

I got a great deal on mine, that's the reason I went with it.

That and my Wife liked it.

18. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The one I'm driving now - F150 Standard Cab 4x2 with a 4.6 liter V8, automatic transmission, vinyl bench seat, rubber mat floor, and a full size bed. Basically, it's a contractor/farm truck.

19. Trez

Trez Member

The best truck ive ever owned was my '73 IH 1110 pickup... A close second is my '73 Scout II

(yep, Im one of those crazy IH people!! I just need that "matching" M1 Garand now!!)

20. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

nothing crazy about the Internationals. rugged and tough trucks.