What you can find and Where !!

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by SWO1, Dec 4, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

For the most part components are coming back. At Bass Pro earlier In the week talking to a guy from up in Nebraska. He was looking for Hornady bullets. Bass Pro has them along with most LGS and others in this area. Cant find Sierra here. He said there all they can get is Sierra, no Hornady. Funny thing is Hornady is made in Nebraska and Sierra in Missouri ..... But yet cant get them locally. Powders and primers are plentiful around here. He said powder was good there but primers where short in supply. I read on various sites its hit and miss depending on parts of the country.

Same with factory ammo, gun prices/supply. Here just had another LGS open up about 20 miles away. A large Siding Co. has built a facility and his son has his FFL and is an avid shooter and reloader. Great prices. Went by Monday, he has .22 lr and .22 Mag., go figure. He is $50 cheaper than Bass Pro and my usual LGS on the Ruger American I want for my Grand Daughter.

2. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Good news!! Could this be a sign that the 'CRISIS' is abating?

3. SWO1

At the LGS this morning. Looking at optics to put on the Traditions BP. I don't like the one on it. Found a nice TC 3X9 40MM. Clear (to me), Heavy cross hairs with partial ranging dots. stepped outside with it and ranged it, I LIKE IT, Priced at $69. Wes had 3 boxes of CCI standard vel. .22 lr he had bought from an individual and was re-saleing. I told him I had a couple of bricks of Aguila 36 gr. HPHV that I don't care for bullseye. I've had em for almost a year and don't plan on shooting them. I paid $25 a brick for them when things started to get scarce. He said he would trade straight up. Good deal for both of us ...... :D

4. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I quit looking for awhile

6. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I haven't looked since Spring.

7. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

Graf & Sons has H335 now.

8. FOUR4D4

Went to the local Wal-Mart for my management permit for the up coming spring Turkey Season. Low and behold ammo shelf has some different variety than the usual 40sw. Handgun calibers 38special, 45acp,9mm and 25acp.I might go up later and get some 9mm when more come in tonight.

Still no 22LR I don't expect to see any until the rush of new 22 owners after Christmas dash. The cashier that rang up my turkey permit said that he's getting his son started with a 410 shotgun because of the supplies. Good for him Obamas plan to discourage new shooters foiled again.:D

9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Obama is a failure all around!

10. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

I'm not putting this one on the president personally. It's probably more the special interest groups that rode in on his bandwagon. But what happened was the biggest dose of reality that could ever hit them. And that was a display of pro gun support in the way of the mass purchasing of firearms & ammo. Although I'm as frustrated as everyone else, I'm looking at the big picture. Several things has happed since then, but there has been less and less "anti gun" eruptions each time. Lawmakers see where the minds of masses are, even if they won't publicly admit it.

11. SWO1

After a two week shutdown for the Holidays Sierra Outlet store is open again at 0900 on the 6th of Jan. I will be there when the door opens. Hopefully they will have some stock built back up. I need .224, .308, .355, .357 and .45. Will also step next door to Starline Brass and see whats there. Would like to have some .38 Super and will check on how their expansion and plans to produce Bottle Neck rifle brass is progressing ..... :D

12. SWO1

Make the trip to Sedalia this morning in -11 deg temps. Roads partly covered with snow & ice. But I figured not many like me so I would have a better chance at whatever Sierra built up over the Xmas break. they had almost all rifle bullets, only pistol was .40 and .41 ..... :( But the little shop down the street had .45s I was looking for, just full retail. Here is what I got.

4 lbs of 150 SPT .308 ..... my #1 hunting bullet, I was down to my last 6
    2 lbs of 165 SBT .308 ..... would rather have FB but Sierra don't make them in this flavor.
    2 lbs of 180 SPt .308 ..... can do without the 180 gr but figured what the heck they had em.
    2 lbs of 53 HP Match Kings .224 .... The main thing I went for

100 ct. box of Hornady 165 FB .308 ..... I will try these and see if they shoot better than the BT, they should

2 100 ct. boxes of Sierra 230 FMJ Match King .45 .... Had to pay full retail but wanted them.

1 lb H335 Have a lb and half left but since using for .223 and .308 got it while it was there for the getting. Last can he had.

Attached Files:

13. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I can find everything here except bulk 22 and powder...Powder is the big AWE SHUCKS

14. SWO1

Ran all the Sierra Outlet Bulk bullets thru the tumbler. After about 20 min. a batch removes most all the spurs and collers. Had to remove a few by hand. Inspected all and didn't find a reject in the lot ...... :) They clean and shine up better than #1s. Shoot just as good also for less than half the price of factory in the box. I think of all I have gotten I might have culled out less than 6 of various weights and I use those for making OAL gauges.

15. FOUR4D4

Does anybody order online since they have started charging tax,I have heard just wondering some of the retailers said they were going to lower prices to accommodate for tax.

Anyways I was talking to someone that said their selling reloading supplies at a this one gun range.I was there in July and I didn't see any.

16. SWO1

I ordered the Lee Quick Trim and Dies from Cabelas in Nebraska. They charged TAX, 4.5%. Price was higher than Midway and Brownells but the other 2 didn't have the dies in stock. Don't think there was any reduction as the price was what LEE says MSRP is ....... :rolleyes:

The way I read the new law is if the business HAS A PRESENCE in a state that they make an internet sale to then they have to charge sales tax. Cabelas although main presence is in Nebraska has a store (s) in Missouri so I guess that's why I was taxed.

17. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

So just who benefits from that tax? The home state of the retailer? Just wait till all the other states see how much tax revenue is leaving their borders.

18. SWO1

The Tax law that is in effect now has been on the books since 1990. The Supreme Court refused to rule on an ALL ENCOMPASSING TAX LAW on 2 Dec 2013. So really nothing new. I think what I read was there are only 5 States that have NO tax on internet sales. Those 5 were grandfathered in in 1990. Most all use the TAX if there is a business presence in the buyers state of residence. A "presence" is defined as a Store Front, a Warehouse, an Office, or a Salesperson. And Sales Tax is collected by the State in which the "Seller" resides.

19. FOUR4D4

I would say SW has hit the MOTHERLOAD there :)

20. SWO1

Was talking to one of the Ballistic Techs at Sierra while there and he told me they are in the process of adding more lines and hiring more people. Also heard there was a new AMMO company that has opened up down in Springrfield, Mo. Havnt yet found out the name or what they make.