Where do you buy your ammo?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by Shooter, Jan 26, 2012.

1. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I'm looking for better prices than what I'm paying.

Where are you getting your ammo from?

I heard Cabelas will cut you a deal if you order over a certain amount, but I have not confirmed it.

2. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

centerfire rifles, except my 223 ammo, i reload for. sometimes i do buy some ammo for them, just to have the brass to reload. the 223 ammo for my AR, i generaly buy from my LGS for about $8 a box of 20.

22lr i generaly buy at walmart, as i do some of my 9mm and 45. sometimes i order the 9mm, 40 s-w and 45 acp ammo from Midway. i reload for my 44 magnum pistol.

specialty size 12ga ammo i order from Midway, general purpose 12ga, whatever is cheapest from walmart.

3. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Nine times outta ten...PA gun shows. I like to buy in bulk, and most times get cut a fair deal when I buy more than one case. I shoot quite a few different calibers...

Once in a blue moon...Dick's Sporting Goods has hunting caliber / shotgun specials that I pick up on...

Oops...can't forget Sportman's Guide...been a Buyers Club member for years. Not just ammo, but hunting supplies in general. Cabela's in Hamburg PA gets visited about 4x a year...I love just walking around that place !!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2012
  4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I generally shop around but with the price of gas, mileage is often factored in.
    I like going to Gun Shows and they are always a good source for ammo.
    The Rim Fire ammo is bought at Wal-Mart because it is close and convenient.
    My Black Power Supplies generally come from Cabela's, Gander Mountain, Dunham's, Midway USA or Wal-Mart. I have more time than money so I often do the research ahead of time.
    I reload my own Center Fire Ammo and my Shot Shells.
    To keep the cost down, most of my range time is either Rim Fires or Black Powder.

5. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

When I lived up north most of my ammo was purchased a Cabela's Dundee Mich. store.Now wally world ,gander mountain & gun shows

6. Shooter

Did they give you discounts?

I was up there the other day and they had ammo buckets for sale. A bunch of different calibers too.

7. FOUR4D4

They had a card that would record your purchase and receive points,toward your next purchase.

8. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I buy my ammo from Clyde's Sport Shop - a local family owned shop that is run by two brothers who were born, raised and still live in the neighborhood. I must confess that I do occasionally buy some of the oddball and bulk stuff mailorder.

9. Yankeeintenn

Yankeeintenn Member

for all you reloaders out there,I buy most of my components from WIDENERS SHOOTING SUPPLYin Johnson City,Tenn.Not the most selections but the best prices I have found by far anywhere and really good people to do business with.Just google Wideners Shooting Supply

10. FOUR4D4

Hazmat fees will eat a hole in your pocket ordering online.My $.02 worth

11. Shooter

That's better than nothing. It still seems that they could use that to track your ammo consumption but we don't have anything to hide.

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i don't have anything to hide! i reload my ammo!

13. hp-hobo

hp-hobo Member

There is no shipping HazMat fee on loaded ammo, only powder and primers.

14. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

Yup me too, and I rarely load anything but lead I cast myself. It's SO much cheaper, and will get the job done. I've started to push my loads a bit, and it's time to size and install gas checks. Hate cleaning leaded barrels.

15. FOUR4D4

Give me your recipe fo 444, sorry about the thread hijack:(

16. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

What little ammo I buy,I buy at Walmart or a Gun store.I reload most of mine.

17. FOUR4D4

Im hoping to buy some 357 ammo for my Smith 686 this weekend

18. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

sorry Four, that's super duper top drawer top secret information!:eek: :D

i don't even seem to have that particular cartridge in my load books for some reason, or else i overlooked it. if i find something i will forward it to you though.

19. bmarg

bmarg Well-Known Member

I get all my ammo from Fleet Farm. I think they are just in the midwest. From what I have seen they have the best prices for ammo. They have just expanded their sporting goods section at my fleet farm and have a lot more stuff. Also, all of fleet farms guns tend to be A LOT cheaper than bigger name stores such as Gander or Cabelas.

20. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

wally world, big 5, and sportsmans warehouse for .22's & shotshell's, and I reload all my centerfire's or I couldn't afford to shoot.
    I get reloading components from the cheapest source, taking into account shipping costs as well.
    I don't spend less but I do shoot more for my buck !!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 17, 2012