Who's reloading today?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by aka, Jul 7, 2012.

1. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Friends it's too danged HOT outside to do anything. I have been trying to get my outside activities in before 10am. I'm not as young as I use to be. It's not quite noon yet and it's a 100° outside. I picked up some shotgun primers this morning. So I can finish a project on my Blog page. I have also been sitting here ordering some bullets. Since I don't cast. Something I just don't have room for. So who else is loading? What's on the menu? I am going to start some .30-30 rounds next.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Im still waiting on 444 brass from midway. Im about ready to go and buy a box of factory ammo just so i will have the brass.

3. aka

aka Well-Known Member

guilty....

4. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Been loading 35 rem the last couple of days but I'm all caught up now :D. Plan on doing some shooting tomorrow so I should have more to do ;).

5. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I should be reloading today because I am half way through a 45acp project, but my A/C shot craps in this heat, so that created a new project. Went to Lowe's and bought a widow unit and installed it until I can have my central air serviced. How come your A/C or furnace always goes down on the weekend.

When I get back on track I have a new Springfield Armory 45XD that I am loading some 200gr semi wad cutters for it's first trip to the range.

6. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Ordered more bullets this past couple of days. Including some for these Marlins I have. Need to order a couple more flavors. Some brass and some other related items was ordered. Then today one of the local toy stores had Clays shotgun powder 25% off so I picked up some and another box of LP primers. Looks like I better find a second job.

7. FOUR4D4

There are just no reliable sources for reloading supplies in my area, I cant even get stared. :mad:

8. aka

aka Well-Known Member

On line.. Really do your homework find out what you want to start with. Look on line or in your local gun trader outlets. You can find some really good deals on used stuff. I buy alot of equipment second hand or as NOS (new old stock). Since I don't cast I buy from different sorces always watching for deals. Especially on pistol bullets and brass.

9. squirrelhunter

Working on both 35 Rem & 40 S&W. Hopefully get to go back out Sunday and let more lead fly :D.

10. FOUR4D4

444 brass is obsolete even on line Midway is back ordered. Im waiting for the local gun show then maybe

11. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Bullets have started arriving already. I am not even done ordering them yet.

FourD have you tried strait from Starline or other manfacturers?
    or on line auction? Midway is a good sorce and they usually follow up on back orders.

12. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have three or four test loads ready for a range trip. The most exciting is a mild 45 Super load I'm going to put through my Hi Point 45. Please no lectures. The gun is a sacrificial lamb and will be in a vice. But I'm betting it hacks it just fine. This first load isn't much hotter than acp +P loads it eats with glee.

13. aka

aka Well-Known Member

no lectures from me I love my 4595

14. squirrelhunter

I plan on doing some more test loads for the SR40c.If I don't get it to it today,I'll get to it tomorrow ;).

15. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Order some more 45 acp and some 38 cast bullets today. Need to go to mailbox and see what came in today.

16. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

lol aka. I trust Hi Points would be given a fair shake from this crowd. The lecture I was referring to is stuffing 45 Super in a 45acp +P gun.;) The whole point is to have fun and see how the zymak brick handles it, and to learn tuning springs and maybe slide mass.

17. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@duster yep your preaching to the choir here. Personally I'd find a gun that hasn't been tested to death and compare it th e "Brick".

For those interested I just posted Part III of the Shot shell reloading at my Blog page.

To the range for R&D tomorrow

18. aka

aka Well-Known Member

I picked up 5 pounds of pure bees wax today from a local bee keeper. Got half in the crock pot to add to my bullet lube for black powder bullets. Need to find a fat deer now and render some lard.

19. FOUR4D4

I still haven't made to plunge into reloading,I know you cant be scared of it but you have to respect it!!!!

20. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Four that's true. reloading can be very safe and rewarding if done safely, but can be potentially dangerous if not done safely. i did lots of reading and talking to people who did, my father included before i ever started. i can say that i do enjoy making my own ammo and find it rewarding when i can make very accurate ammo that's made for my rifle.