why is this topic empty ???

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by oldbrass, Jan 4, 2012.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

certainly there`s a .44/40 or a 45/70 out there somewhere :confused:

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I have a Rossi .44 but not a Marlin.

Do you have a big bore?

3. oldbrass

How do you like that rossi ??

4. Shooter

I love it. It was a gift on my 18th birthday, it's one of the only stable pieces in my collection.

Kicks like a mule, but I kept it stock with the metal buttplate and probably could change to something softer if I was so inclined.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i would like to add a large bore caliber like the 45-70 to my collection. one of my to add to list is the H-R 45-70 Buffalo Classic. sort of a Marlin as they bought them out several years ago.

6. Shooter

I've always wanted one myself. You don't see to many of them.

7. Ac_Man1962

Ac_Man1962 Active Member

If I speak up first and yell that I got an Marlin in 45-70 what to I win?:D I hope it ain't no years supply of cat litter..... I ain't got no darn cat!!:rolleyes:

8. Shooter

You won a cat!

9. PackinPreacher

PackinPreacher Well-Known Member

10. oldbrass

Henry is coming out with a 45/70 this year. I`m not sure about the mag tube but I guess a fella could get use to it
    www.henryrepeating.com/rifle-45-70.cfm

11. biku324

biku324 Member

Well, here's my 44-40 in an 1894S! I'm beginning the search for a 444 at a non-confiscatory price, but no luck so far. . .

[​IMG]

12. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

Now you're gonna make me go to the dictionary again. Fom

13. Fomdiddle

Fomdiddle Well-Known Member

big bores

I've got an 1895GS, an 1895M and a Ruger No. 1 in 45-70 but no pics. I'll try to do better. Fom

14. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Does having a .444 and a .45-70 make me a big bore owner? Both 1895's!

Hey Austin...I'd pick up one of those slip on rubber recoil pads at Wally World for $20. That would increase your fun factor while shooting that Rossi.

15. biku324

biku324 Member

I just don't want to pay a gazillion bucks on a 444! Any ideas?

16. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

I'd like to have a second .444 myself, but don' like the 1-38" twist that comes on the pre-safety models. Here's what I'm thinking...talk to JES about what is the best 336 platform for a re-bore. I believe the SC's make a better donor gun when converting to a big bore, but a second opinion may be required. Anyhow...if you do a re-bore you can name your tune. Get the ballard rifling, choose how many grooves (3,4 or 5) and the rate of twist you desire. I would personally go with a faster twist in the 1 in 20" neighborhood simply so I wouldn't have to drive lighter bullets real fast in plinking loads.
    My .02 cents.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2012
  17. Big bore

Big bore Active Member

I'm in! I have 45-70 guide gun. It's a blast to shoot! Like to get a cowboy one day.

18. aka

aka Well-Known Member

Why would anyone mention Henry at a Marlin Forum?

There are a few Marlin 44-40's around, I never seem to have enough cash to snag one when an avaible one shows it sweet little face. I bought the 45-70 to fill the void and plink a few squirrels with. ( The price was right) It's the 95 Cowboy not a guide. I would also like a Buffalo Classic/HR handi but in a different caliber .

19. aka

aka Well-Known Member

@fomdiddle is that a Williams peep sight?

20. Rooster59

Rooster59 Well-Known Member

Hyph,
    Wouldn't you also need a bulged mag tube or is that only for the 45-70's? I thought the bulge was required for the length of the cartridge for which the 444 (2.57") is the same length as the 45-70 (2.55").