Why no respect for 40 s&w?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by FOUR4D4, Feb 27, 2014.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

So now the cats out of the bag.I just found out why all the 40sw are still on the shelf.They have been known for several failures,Please say it isn't so.

2. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

I never had any with my Glock 23..I really don't like the way it shoots though and went back to all .45acp......

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I've not seen or heard of any problems with the 40. I think most who had the 40 went to the 10mm. Same bullet, more FPS AND FP. You see a lot of the 1911 platforms in 10mm but less of selection in 40.

I had a 40 at one time. Shot great, although I only tested it out to 15 yards. Ran all factory loads I could find, JHP and FMJ. with good accuracy. I cant tell the difference in two like guns myself. Kind of like .38s vs 357. Although I can load my 38s ALMOST up to lower 357s. The 10mm has a wider range of reloading options. Down to lower 40 power or ALMOST up to 41 Mag. For every box of 10mm I see dozens of 40s.

4. FOUR4D4

I read this on the 40 SW

The .40 S&W has been noted in a number of cartridge case failures, particularly in older Glock pistols due to the relatively large area of unsupported case head in those barrels, given its high working pressure.[21][22] The feed ramp on the Glock .40 S&W pistols is larger than on other Glocks, which leaves the rear bottom of the case unsupported, and it is in this unsupported area that the cases fail. Most, but not all, of the failures have occurred with reloaded or remanufactured ammunition.[23] Cartridges loaded at or above the SAAMI pressure, or slightly oversized cases which fire slightly out of battery are often considered to be the cause of these failures.[23] These failures are commonly referred to as "kaBooms" or "kB!" for short.[23] While these case failures do not often injure the person holding the pistol, the venting of high pressure gas tends to eject the magazine out of the magazine well in a spectacular fashion, and usually destroys the pistol. In some cases, the barrel will also fail, blowing the top of the chamber off.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2014
  5. FOUR4D4

6. SWO1

The very reason LEE makes a die called the "Bulge Buster" Glocks are famous for the unsupported chambers. Fired factory cases have to be resized the bulge buster. As for the failed rounds destroying the pistol.......Go Figure, ITS PLASTIC .....:rolleyes: DONT see that problem in ALL STEEL 1911s or like material pistols.

7. FOUR4D4

That's if you can afford a 1911? they run between $1200 and $3000 for a good brand of 1911.

8. SWO1

IMO.....and a lot of others not true. Check out the Rock Island (Armscor) line. I have a .38 Super and a .45acp. I shoot with guys with Colts, Kimbers, and the like. As reliable and accurate as a lot of $1000+ guns. All steel and LIFETIME WARRENTY ON the gun, reguardless of how many owners. All warrenty work done in Nevada at the Armscor US facility on their dime, shipping both ways.

9. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

I have an M&P and PX Storm in 40sw both great!

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

10. Stromm

Stromm New Member

I have an M&P40 with just shy of 5,000 rounds of Blazer Brass through it. Not a single failure or any kind. 4,5000 rounds through in a little over a years time.

I used to love shooting 10mm. But I can shoot more .40 for less.