Winchester Model 06 .22 pump

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by Mauserhooked, Jun 12, 2015.

1. Mauserhooked

Mauserhooked Well-Known Member

I picked up a beaten up Winchester model 06 .22 pump from GunBroker as a project about a month ago. Almost no bluing remained on the metal, the stock was cracked and no longer fit the rifle, and it was missing some parts/screws. I picked up a new stock and forearm from Numrich, along with some other parts, then went about rust bluing the metal. I think it turned out pretty decent, and it has a good bore, so looks like I got another good "plinker". Please let me know what you think:

"Before" and "after" Pics:
    1.jpg

IMG_2843.jpg

IMG_2822.jpg

IMG_2823.jpg

IMG_2824.jpg

IMG_2825.jpg

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Very, very nice. It's a beautiful rifle. Thanks for sharing.

3. Mauserhooked

Thanks for the comments greyhawk! This was my second attempt at rust bluing as a project. Definitely a labor of love and time-consuming, but was well worth it IMHO.

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Beautiful rifle. You did a great job.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Awesome restoration...!!

6. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Super job. At one time I had one and my EX-wife pawned it without me knowing it. God bless her! Yours is beautiful.

7. Mauserhooked

Thanks for the feedback lingr, Shooter, and Gumpy! Gumpy, your ex pawning your 06 was surely a low blow. These are great old rifles!

8. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Wow. Nice work. I'm itching for another project. But my bank account says otherwise.

9. Mauserhooked

I hearing you, MattNH. For me, the planets have to line up just right so that I can get into a project firearm cheaply enough that there is still some fat on the bone. If you aren't careful, you can spend a heck of a lot of money on furniture and parts to where it isn't economically feasible to restore one. I'm into this rifle for about $300 and figure I could sell it in the $500-$600 range. My labor comes very cheap so that doesn't factor in!

10. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Great rifle Muaser

11. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

It looks nice. It mat be just me getting old,but the angle of the butt-stock seems to be a bit,ummm,severe?
    This one my Dad bought mail-order when he was still a kid,so I know it's all original wood.
    It just looks different.

Attached Files:

12. Mauserhooked

Thanks for the comment, bob2231. My eyes may be getting a little old as well so I compared another Winchester 06 I have with this one. Good eye! The butt stock angle may be the angle I took the photo. Either way, the new stock is a definite improvement since the one it came with was definitely not for a Winchester 06. The comb angle looks a little less severe on the new stock than an original to me: The top photo is an all-original 1926 Winchester 06 and the second one is the Winchester 06 with the new stock:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2015