Woodchuck vs Groundhog

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by 28Shooter, Feb 13, 2012.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

...and you fellas thought there'd be a video...sorry. Okay, what do you guys call those large destructive furry rodents that infest our fields and ruin our foundations? I've heard them called woodchucks, groundhogs, whistle pigs (an old favorite), long range targets...

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Prairie Dogs?

I think it depends on your region.

Do you have a pic?

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Around here, they are called groundhogs or whistle pig. Don't hear the term woodchuck very often. but according to google, it is another name for a groundhog.
    http://www.google.com/search?q=wood...sAarL0QG65JizCw&ved=0CE0QsAQ&biw=1024&bih=605
    As for the long range target, I've shot dozens at short range. ;) As far as the name Target, I'd class them with stray cats, Target #1, Target #2, Target #3. (don't mean to offend)
    My wife & I took a trip out West a couple years ago and seen hundreds of Prairie Dogs. Prairie Dogs are much, much smaller than groundhogs. We were really surprised at just how small they were by comparison.

4. Shooter

I've never heard whistle pig before.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

woodchuck! whistlepig, i have heard that a time or two in the past.

6. Shooter

What region are you in?

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i'm in East Texas, about 60 miles south of Tyler. and we don't have any of them! just squirrels and rabbits!

8. 28Shooter

I live in a suburban neighborhood in Baltimore County, Maryland and the daggone things are adapting like the coyotes. When I was a young man, you only saw them in the country, now you can find them just about anywhere including the urban areas.

Thanks for the pictures Greyhawk.

9. Shooter

I'm not to far from you in Texas miles.

I'm in San Marcos, bout 45 minutes south of Austin.

We've always had coyotes but they are getting more into urban areas than ever before.

10. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Whistlepigs....squirrels, chipmunks, seagulls, crows, racoons... pests.

Targets is what we call 'em in Pennsylvania !

11. Yankeeintenn

Yankeeintenn Member

where I come from they are known as woodchucks,what the h--l is a whistlepig??? That's a new one on me

12. greyhawk50

I'm not sure where it came from. :confused: Maybe the fact that if you whistle real loud at them, they are known to stand up and give you a better shot.

13. 28Shooter

That's the explanation I heard years ago from my uncle who had a real passion for shooting the things. He used a custom pre-'64 Model 70 in 22-250 with an old Unertl scope. No 'chuck was safe when he got that gun out.

14. greyhawk50

I don't know, but, I have heard that the groundhog uses a whistle as a signal of danger?? Maybe to their young?? :confused::confused: They don't live in colonies like prairie dogs but multiple holes can be found in suitable areas i.e along a railroad bed. Mostly a solitary den where the young are cast out when they are old enough.
    I hunted them a lot back in the early '70s with everything from a 22 lr. pistol to 7.7 Japanese Mauser. Mostly with a 22 mag. or a 5mm. rem. mag.
    I would harvest 15 or more each spring before the grass and weeds got too high.

15. 28Shooter

What amazes me about the animal is the size of the rocks they can push up out of the ground when constructing their dens. My uncle was constantly having to repair equipment that was damaged after riding over one of their unseen holes.

16. Shooter

Most things run when I whistle at them. ;)

17. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Yeah we call them groundhogs here in the midwest. They can adapt to urban life just as well as coyotes. We have so many coyotes around here now you don't see many groundhogs.

18. Shooter

Win win?

Of course the coyotes are far worse.