would you load this ?

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, Nov 13, 2014.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

This is .45 acp range fodder I found, about 20 of them have an extremely large flash hole..Don`t know if this is how it`s made or perhaps was blown out...was wanting some expert advice before I load them...The one in the right is PMC once fired I bought new just for comparison

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 13, 2014
  2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I'm not an expert but, I would not load it. As range fodder, there is nothing invested and nothing lost. Error on the side of safety is my thoughts.
    I've never seen a flash hole that large. WOW.
    Seeing how it is a blow-back 45 acp raises even more concern imho.
    Keep in mind the physics associated with a cartridge being fired. It all happens in a mil-second but, the firing pin hits the primer, the primer ignites the powder which blows the primer back against the bolt face/slide, the pressure blows the case back and re-seats the primer and then the action is pushed back if it's an auto.
    I could be all wet but I would be concerned with there being too much pressure escaping backwards (at me) before the primer is re-seated. The back pressure of a muzzle loader is controlled by the size of the orifice between the powder and the primer. I would think that the flash hole in a case fired round is small for a reason.
    That's my 2 cents.

If you're short on 45 acp brass, drop me a PM with your info and I'll send you some. Don't have a 45 acp anymore but I have a few (50 or so ???) just laying around that I don't need.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014

3. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Can you see the headstamp? I am curious about the manufacturer. Those may have been blanks.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

It looks like someone altered,modified or mutilated that I wouldn't use that. of course what do I know?

5. oldbrass

Headstamp is winchester, I`ve loaded lots of winchester brass but never seen this before.....

6. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Could be a couple of things:

Green Ammo, totally lead free, including the primer requires a LARGER flash hole for reliable ignition. Winchester did (or still does) make it. Of course Win advises not to reload this brass, probably want you to buy new.

Rounds with plastic or rubber bullets are loaded with just a primer and no powder. They also have the enlarged primer hole. These are made to be shot in your living room, or where ever inside. Very little noise and easy to stop.

Some people reload them, many dont, they just chuck em.

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Crush it, and bin it :mad:

8. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Found on another forum
    http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=347961

The larger flash hole is from a round loaded with a non-toxic or lead free primer.

The lead free primer has a higher intial recoil impulse so to reduce that pressure makers have gone to a larger flash hole (Winchester ) a crimped in primer (Remington) or a small pistol primer (some Federal and CCI)

9. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Learn something new every day. Who would have thunk it??

10. oldbrass

Man I`ll say, they`re going strait to the trash heap...Thanx all for the replies

OB

11. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

I didn't see anything that said reloading is a nono. I will email Winchester and ask.