X7 in a 223

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by h2opumper, Jul 17, 2012.

1. h2opumper

h2opumper New Member

Has anyone been able to find a X7 chambered in the 223 hanging around their gun shops? The only ones I've seen are in Marlin's 2012 digital catalog.

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thought I would pass this to you h20pumper......

I too am interested in a X7 in .223 but heavy barrell varmit model. Had my dealer check into it for me. Called me just now and said IT IS NOW BEING PRODUCED......Stock black plastic stock, No scope...His price was $368 + tax.....So here that would be under $390.

Bad news is its on BACK ORDER....WAY BACK...He has an open ticket on it and will let me know when.......:D

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i too have one ordered and my LGS said he would let me know when it arrives!

4. SWO1

axxe55....I noticed I fat fingered the price on the price.....:eek: just wondering what they are going for around you ???

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

the X7's range in price from about $365 to about $420, depending on which version you get. plain blued finish, SS or with the camo stock. i paid about $370 for my XS7VH in 308 and that was the most recent one bought.

6. mrfox

mrfox New Member

Same here, $370 for my x7vh in 308. I would have prefered the 223 but as we all know, wayback order. I didnt feel like waiting for one.

7. SWO1

Was at my shop this morning picking up a Sierra reloading manual. Just got a call from him and .....:D....He has located a 7XV in .223. Black Matel stock and blued. The Offer was only good for a few hours as a LARGE demand for it or any other. Price is $401 out the door to me. I gave him the GREEN LIGHT ON IT. Should be here in 7-10 days......EARLY CHRISTMAS.....:cool:

8. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

When your incoming X Varmit arrives and disappoints you (lol) give me a holler and I'll be down there in about 2.5hrs to remove the offender from your midst! N-joy it when you get it and of course, don't forget all will want to know what kind of recipe keeps 'em in the dime-sized group.

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

when mine arrives, i hardly think it will disappoint me! i already have the 308 heavy barrel, had thought about the 22-250 version, but i have an AR, so brass for reloading is readily available. if the 223 performs anywhere as good as the rest of my X7's, dime sized groups will not be a problem!

10. SWO1

I got a 24X bench scope with rings just waitin......:)

Plan on making the trip to Sierra the 21st for some bull...its. Their book has PAGES of loads for bolt guns. Want to talk to them about the barrell length, twist and see which one(s) they reccommend to start with for what I plan on shooting.

Hope to GIVE YA CHANGE FOR YOUR DIME........:D

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i think i am going to do another budget target build, like i did with my XS7VH in 308! add some weight, tune the trigger, smooth the action and put a Boyd's laminated stock on it and bed the action. put a nice 6-24x40 scope on it, and have some fun!

12. SWO1

All Im gonna do with mine is try and poke small holes. I'm gonna leave it stock for now. Thinkin about tryin USBR sporter matches.

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

sorry, i just have a hard time leaving anything totally stock! bad habit of mine. i have a XS7 in 7mm-08, that i still want to rebarrel with a heavy fluted stainless barrel just for the fun of it.

14. SWO1

Only reason I'll do that for now is USBR rules for a sporter bench rifle is, It has to be stock, from the factory. Only option is the optics, freefloating/bedding, and very light trigger work, polishing mostly is the only thing allowed. Weight limit also so adding it is out.

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

with some light polishing and adjustment, i have my trigger to under 2 lbs. on the 308. added weight and have it up to about 13.5 lbs. it's recoil is very, very mild!

the XS7VH in 223, i want to put it in a Boyd's laminated stock just for the looks and the Boyd's stocks are fantastic. very high quality and decently priced.

16. SWO1

Have seen some of the Boyd stocks, they do look good. Weight in the .223 dont think will matter...no recoil to speak of anyway. I will be shooting in FREE RECOIL. And for competition rifle and scope have to be under 8.5 lbs. I dont know how far down the Marlin trigger will go. Factory setting on the grandsons .308 is pretty nice, havnt touched it yet. My 700 is about 1.7....but it was born a bench baby. Now the Savage Axis is another story......with a lot of work have it to about 5...maybe, dont have a gauge. (there is another $thingy$ I have to get...:rolleyes:) I'm gonna have to get another trigger for it, a Timmey or something...;) Oh and do you have a chrono ?? Was thinking about the Chrony F1. All the reviews on em say for the $$ a great deal. For about $115 comes with a remote readout that goes on the bench.

17. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Sierra Pills

For your tack driver, the outlet might or might not fit your needs. I don't know if you've visited before, but the bullets they sell there are "rejects." I can't seem to figure out why with the 60gr HPs and others. Wts check within .2gr up/down & diameters have been 100percent. Some are dull and haven't been through the polishing media. I also like the .224 65 SPT for it's integrity to retain wt and punch in/out wounds for deer killing if one chooses (I like the '06!). The lead soft point tips in the bin of those seems to have some with sprues and rings that are similar to flash from a cheap sinker mold. Takes a little bit to clean 'em up, but minute of rabbit accurate out of the M4 which is OK for whitetails since most encounters are less than 100yds. They're tri-purpose water bottle shooters, game and shtf rounds. Darn sure more accurate than L.C. 55s & 62s!

I'd give the folks a call. Never heard a bad word about their assistance. We've shot alongside one of the the Sierra techs. He's single and a supreme gun fanatic. Had 3 Class IIIs with him on that occasion and was happy to have (insisted) two of our grandsons shoot them all (22LR, 5.56 & .30cal). His .308 bullpup is a custom build that doesn't roar when you turn one out. Kinda odd to shoot, but made for a more enjoyable day all the way around. He put video up on youtube from the kids session.

Best wishes on getting lots of "change" :D out of your new acquistion. Have an enjoyable day with a safe trip to Sedalia and back next Friday.

18. SWO1

Spoon, Im makin this trip to aquire .308s for deer hunting loads. Will get #1 purdy ones for the .223 hole puncher.

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i definately need to get a chronograph for reloading. probably would help to insure my loads are consistent. stock the XS7 will get pretty close to 2 lbs safely. now i did some light trigger work on my 308, but due to what it is, it's weight, it is strictly a bench gun and would never be used for hunting.

adding some weight even to the 223 would not be for recoil, but just shooting stability. personally i like bench shooting a heavier rifle. easier for me to keep a better sight picture.

also check out MidwayUSA for a trigger pull guage. i got mine for about $20 there.

20. SWO1

The X7VH .223 is Home and on the Bench......:D Will mount the 24X bench scope after I give it a through cleaning and polish up the bolt. If I get to it today might even throw a few rounds of Fed 55gr. FMJ bulk ammo I have through it....Just to see what it does. I need to form some brass anyway before starting to work up some loads. I'll get some Pics of it on my range bench, along with the groups. Dont expect much out of the bulk ammo.

Later