X7 wood stocks?

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by axxe55, Nov 24, 2011.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

does anyone know if there is anyone making wood stocks for the X7 rifles? or even laminate stocks?:confused:

2. spittinfire

spittinfire Member

Not that I'm aware of.

What issue do you have with the synthetic stocks?

3. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

nothing wrong with the synthetic stock. just would like to do a wooden stock for cosmetic appeal.

5. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

6. spittinfire

spittinfire Member

I wouldn't mind a new stock for bedding purposes. Plus, wood does look better. I'm not going to ask who here has wood......

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

shrek came up with Boyd's Stocks. i found another maybe source, Richard's Microfit Stocks, but can't confirm if they are available yet.

8. Big Shrek

The great thing about the Boyd's stocks, we've tested the heck out of 'em over at RFC & G&G :)

Only need minor fitting, as does any change of stock. Of course, I do suggest glass bedding or pillar bedding for the perfect fit ;)

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

so in a nutshell, the Boyd's are pretty good stocks? i am giving some thought to doing at least one of mine with the wood stock, and will most likely glass bed it and pillar bed it also.

10. Big Shrek

11. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

thanks shrek, i think i will order a couple of them after the first of the year.

12. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Member

13. tahoe2

tahoe2 Well-Known Member

boyds stocks !!!

I have done two Boyds stocks on mauser's;
    a walnut for a Yugo M24/47, and a laminate for my sons Spanish 1931 M95 mauser. Both were unfinished when I got them and Boyds has a stock preparation guide. Both required some minor inletting but it was easy, a little around the barrel and action and lots of sanding 180, 220, 320, then 400, + 5 coats of hand rubbed Birchwood Casey Tru Oil. They have both been hunted with in heavy rain with no ill effects. Love em!!:cool:

Attached Files:

14. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Tahoe, i currently have two rifles with the Boyd's stocks and have a couple more with plans for them with Boyd's stocks. yes there is some minor fitting required, but that is said upfront and a given. i too am very pleased with them and would highly recommend them and did just that today to a co-worker.

15. Big Shrek

I can't think of a better starting project for a rifle owner, that carries over into EVERY kind of rifle, and makes such a HUGE difference in precision,
    as Bedding a New Stock...Usually the first time folks don't read/heed all instructions, and have to do it again,
    but it makes better gun owners out of 'em...as long as they learn from their mistakes :D

Also makes Gunsmiths quite a lot of money, as bedding is inexpensive for them to do, and they can charge a pretty penny for it ;)

16. smokeit

smokeit Member

Yes Boyds Gun Stocks had solid and laminate stocks for the x7. Reasonably priced around $100. Free floated it dropped in slick as can be, only issue I had was the stock to reciever screw has a flat square shouldered screw and the Boyds insert in the stock is for a counter sunk screw head, I used a bottoming reamer and squared and flattened it and then the screw reached the threads and sat recessed below the stock making it smooth to handle. I like the look and feel of wood over synthetic. Grouping and impact did not change with the added wood stock. I will be replacing my other marlin synthetics with Boyds wood stocks in due time. A note on Marlins synthetic stocks, they appear and feel the strongest of all the other brands that I looked at in the price/budget entry level bracket. All 4 of mine shoot sub moa.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i agree with your assessment of the factory Marlin synthetic stocks. the only flaw i found on them was the forend to be little flimsy. an easy fix though and i fixed all of mine.