Xl7

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by jwillson, Nov 22, 2012.

1. jwillson

jwillson New Member

I just purchased an XL7 in 30-06 after reading several good things about it. Taking it out to the lease this weekend but does anyone have suggestions on what ammo might be the best for the gun?

2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum jwillson !!

Nice rifle !!

I take it you bought it to go hunting...so I would pick the ammo best suited for the prey

you intend to hunt as a starting point. Remington, Winchester...any major manufacturer makes a

good 30-06 cartridge. Current .30-06 factory ammunition varies in bullet weight from 110 to 220 grains.

Half the fun can be finding which one your rifle shoots the best...

3. Hyphenated

Hyphenated Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. I am guessing this time of year you are hunting deer. 150gr bullets are enough for whitetail or mule deer hunting. Like Shooter13 said...pick up a box of Winchester, Remington or Federal ammo and you should be set. However, during the off season you should pick up some of each and determine what your rifle likes the best for future use. Good luck.

4. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

WELCOME & Congrats on the new rifle. If it's like mine...it might not be real choosy with what you run through it, but RELOADING is the key to fine tuning.

I've got a bunch of factory ammo from 150 to 220gr setting that will probably never see duty out of the XL.

Best wishes for finding the right ammo for your gun and hunting needs.

5. jwillson

jwillson New Member

Thanks Spoon,

I sighted in with 150 grain Remington Corelock and got a pretty good grouping. When not at the lease I plan on going to range and trying more out.