XS7VH 308 project

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by axxe55, Nov 26, 2011.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

this is going to be a budget target rifle build. my goal is to stay under $1200 total, including cost of rifle, scope and parts. labor will be free as i am going to do everthing myself. so far, $370+ tax for the rifle, $265+ tax for the scope, about $25 in sling and swivels.

Attached Files:

2. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

Made any progress yet?

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

at this time the rifle is in the process of being glass bedded if i can find some time to work on it. between my work schedule and the holidays, doesn't leave much time for working on my guns. two things i am ordering after the first of the year, glass bedding kit and a trigger pull guage. hopefully within the next couple of weeks things will settle down somewhat and i will be able to return to a somewhate normal schedule. from Thanksgiving to about the middle of January, we have a very hectic time as we have every truck running and have to keep them up and running. so this time of year, my normal schedule goes out the window. many Saturdays spent getting trucks ready for Monday, and many early mornings and late nights.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

also an update to what has been done so far. replaced the scope with the one i ordered about six months ago, a Swift 8-32x50 scope. also took the one piece base and modified it into a two piece base and also epoxied a steel rod into the stock under the barrel to stiffen and support the glass bedding when i do it. also still working on load development and have found some that are very promising and showing good results. with further refinements of the loads and rifle, i think the results will be pretty good. i need to take some pictures of the modifications before and after to show what can be done on a budget with these rifles.

5. texaswoodworker

texaswoodworker Member

Sounds like it is going to be a great target rifle. Can't wait to see the pics.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

it will look pretty much like it does now. most of the differences will be hidden and subtle. i'm looking forward to getting back to work on it.

7. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

update to rifle. have bedded the action to the stock. added weight in the butt of the stock. have found two different loads that are definately showing promise of good groups. one with a 150gr bullet with IMR4895 powder, and one with a 168gr bullet with IMR4350 powder. both are needing a little tuning, but are definately starting to show some really good groups. i removed the trigger and looked into maybe taking it apart and smoothing up the bearing surfaces, but have decided not to after all, as it looks more complicated than i thought.

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

rifle update.

i have some recent updates to my Marlin XS7VH in 308. i have the weight now up to about 13.5 lbs. and just recently replaced the rings with some that are a little shorter allowing the scope to sit lower to the receiver. i am in the process of working some loads up using some 150 gr bullets i bought with some IMR4831 powder. i will try to do some shooting with it this weekend. these pictures also show the new scope mounted i had ordered for it, it's a Swift Premier 8-32x50 with a 3" sunshade. also if you look closely you can see the modified scope base, from a one piece to a two piece.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2012
  9. Marlinman

Marlinman Active Member

That's badass Jonas.....whos' stock?

10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

factory Marlin with my camo paintjob.

thanks, Jared. she shoots with less felt recoil than even my 204 Ruger rifle!

11. Marlinman

Marlinman Active Member

I can believe it....your forgetting I have one as well;)

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

well the 308 is probably my favorite of all my X7's. the 7mm-08 will be a close second and may move up to first place whenever i get around to putting the new barrel on it in SS and fluting.

but i love the weight of my 308. 13.5 lbs right now! i might even add some more and try to get it up to about 15 lbs.

here is a picture of the 7mm-08 after the stock was replaced with the Boyds laminated one.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 18, 2012