Your Favorite Recipes!

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by axxe55, Feb 15, 2012.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

this is a post for you to list your favorite recipes. they can be with wild game if you so desire, or just something you enjoy cooking and how you do it. cooking is something i have enjoyed doing for many years, as i havve spent more of my adult years single, rather than married.

my favorite item to cook is chili! next to that, i enjoy smoking meat on my homemade BBQ pit. every Thangsgiving i usually smoke at least 2-3 turkeys for the family.

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

I do most of my cooking by scratch,and place it in the memory bank.

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

that's good! that's where i keep my super secret chili recipe at! even the wife doesn't know my recipe. i can send her to the store with my list, but the preparation is what makes the difference.

4. FOUR4D4

Everybody loves my steaks, backstraps, & pork meat on the grill or oven.One thing I have learned is cook slow and on low heat.Don't rush to get it done.OK now my secrets out.:eek:

5. Shooter

Shooter Administrator Staff Member Administrator

I do the same.

I also bake a lot of bread and have to tweak it based on weather and type of yeast used.

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i enjoy slow and low for smoking and hot and fast for grilling. my BBQ pit is an indirect heat type and uses the smoke to cook and i usually keep it around 250-300 degrees when cooking. when i do briskets and turkeys on my smoker, i usually cook from about 10-14 hours cooking time. fruitwoods will usually leave a lighter smoke flavoring than most hardwoods.

i learned how to make biscuits from scratch from my grandmother and they are really so simple to make and way much better than the store bought ones in the can. the secret is to use lard! makes them much better.

7. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

Green Chili in a darn hurry:

I bottle green salsa medium or hot (pay for the greener stuff)
    1 can diced green chili's
    3 baking potatoes diced and cooked in microwave
    1-2lbs cubed or ground pork salted & cooked in iron skillet on BBQ grill for taste
    1 tsp curry powder
    1 tablespoon black pepper
    1 onion diced
    1 can Garbanzo beans drained
    1 can white hominy drained
    Mucho garlic to taste
    32 ounces chicken broth
    Whatever amount of cilantro you like

Mix together, bring to a boil, salt to taste, add more water if you want, let it stew for a while if you want.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2012
  8. FOUR4D4

I have found in a pinch I use Italian Salad Dressing to Marinate

9. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i too haave done this. the vinegar helps tenderize the meat and the seasonings give a great flavor to the meat. it works good on chicken to grille for fajitas.

10. Shooter

I use it a lot when I'm baking chicken.

I like it.

11. FOUR4D4

I used this for marinating meat on the dehydrator, salt dries meat out.with some liquid smoke.

12. Shooter

I'll try that too. Never thought to use it that way.

13. Shooter

I'm making sweet potato fries this evening.

Never done it myself, only had them from restaurants.

Anyone ever do it at home? How did it turn out?

14. FOUR4D4

No, I dont care for sweet potatos.

15. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i prefer my sweet potatoes in a pie! just like my granny used to make for Thanksgiving.

16. Shooter

My wife doesn't either. I had to make normal fries for her.

I do too. I always wanted to try to make the fries at home though.

I now know why they always come battered. They don't firm up otherwise and I ended up with an oily mess.

Still pretty good though.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

yesterday i went into town and went to this very small mom and pop grocery store, that has one of those old time butchers shop in the back, where they will cut meat to order, then wrap it up in the white butcher's paper. well i picked up three large t-bone steaks, about 1 1/2" thick. brought them home, seasoned them with just a little salt and pepper and grilled them on the homemade grille outside. my father came over and ate dinner with us and we did a little shooting afterwards. it was about 65 degrees outside and the sun was shining, it was a really great day.

18. FOUR4D4

life is good

:d

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

sometimes it can be and we need to enjoy them when the times are right!

my father lives about 1/2 mile from me, and the wife and i have him over at least once a month for dinner. sometimes my brother and his family joins us.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2012
  20. Shooter

I was going to do that here in the near future.

I make philly cheese steak I used shaved rib-eye for. I find it easiest to have them cut 2-3 inches then I take it home and shred it up myself.