Youth Rifle for the Grand Daughter

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by SWO1, Nov 6, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I have some light loads worked up for the 7X .308 Youth Model. Will shoot tomorrow and see how they are. Will have the Grand Daughter shoot some also.

Checked out the LGS this morning. He has a 7X Marlin in .243 with the scope package. Adjustable trigger. 1-10 twist

Also has a Ruger American Youth in .308, No optics. Adjustable trigger 1-10 twist. Can order .243 with 1-9 twist.

Am looking at the Mossberg ATI compact in .243, it comes with Walnut Stock and no optic. Adjustable trigger, down to 2lbs. 1-9.25 twist

Considering also the Savage Axis youth in .243, it is availiable in the "Muddy Girl" camo stock that she really likes. No adjustable trigger 1-9.25 twist

Of the four my Opinion is........"Ruger". It is the lightest at 6lbs. Shortest Barrel @ 20" Shortest overall length and about the same as a couple others in LOP @ 12". From reviews the Adjustable Trigger is the best, Axis dosnt have one. It also has a 1-9" twist barrel, best of the bunch. Will see how she does shooting the 7X .308 and proceed from there. Also of all the shooting reviews the Ruger performed the best. All are WELL within minute of Deer.

Price wise:

Mossberg : $350, with Walnut stock and no optics
    Marlin: around $400 with scope package
    Savage & Ruger: $375, No optics

2. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

SWO1, I purchased the Ruger American standard in .308 a couple months ago. Just wanted to say its a very good rifle, highly recommend it. Put a Nikon Prostaff BDC scope on it, extremely accurate, crisp trigger pull, and the soft butt pad absorbs most of the recoil.

3. SWO1

Thanks for the input lingr .... :) How do you like the synthetic stock ? The "ONLY" bad remarks I could find about it was the stock. A few comments about it making a funny vibrating sound when shot ..... :confused: Of course the deer will never hear it .... :p Mentioned was a touching of the fore end under the free floated barrel. It was fixed by sanding the barrel channel about 1/8". Of those it seemed to affect accuracy a little until they were sanded, about 1/4" @ 100 yds. Not a deal (deer) killing issue and easy to fix if it were present.

4. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

I have also read the negative comments about the stock, but I personally have no complaints. Some have said that the stock is too slick, prefer the tacky feel of the Vanguard or Howa. But the rough cuts Ruger put in the stock seem to do well. As far as the touching of the stock onto the free floating barrel, I have not encountered that issue. Or the strange " noise". The barrel does seem to heat up if you shoot several rounds through it, like at the range, which may affect accuracy. But I shot a box of 20 Hornady Whitetails 150 grain through it last week and was hitting the "eye" out of the bullseye at 100 yards. :)

5. SWO1

Maybe trudging thru the woods or fields, sweaty hands would be slick on a composite stock. But in a stand or on the bench I don't see a problem.

All barrels get hot after 3-4 rounds. Some still shoot good hot, some don't. My Wizzard DOSNT. The Savage and Marlin DO. Im glad to hear that your Ruger does. It has to do with the hardness and stiffness of the steel. As for the Strange noise I myself don't see how anyone could hear it over the report ..... :rolleyes: Unless it kept viberating like a tuning fork. Ive seen $1000+ rifles string shots after 5-8 rounds, so I don't feel to bad about the cheapo Rossi. A lot of times the cause for that "mysterious" flyer the last of a 5 short group. After about 4-5 rounds the Rossi Wizzard starts opening up like a Trap Gun ....... :eek:

6. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

You're not gonna get more than 1-2 rounds at a deer out hunting anyway. If you decide on the Ruger SWO1, I don't think you'll be sorry.

7. SWO1

Didn't get the Grand Daughter to shoot yesterday. She had a chance at a shopping trip with her mother..... well you can guess which won out .... LOL. Didn't get back till afternoon and by then my wife had me lookin at an RV she wanted to get and spent all afternoon on that project.

So no shootin and We now own an RV ..... :rolleyes: Will try again today. Opening day is next Saturday so she has to get in shots. After school is to late now with the time change. I guess she is still serious as she came back with a Blaze Orange Jacket ..... :p

8. Nogoat

Nogoat Well-Known Member

I just bought the Marlin for the Grand Kids to use, age range will allow. I picked it up scopeless for under 300 to my LSG off Gun Broker. I like it. It's a 243,.

Sent from my iPhone using Marlin Forum

9. SWO1

Good choice and at a decent price. Ive got the youth 7X in 308 for my grandson, he likes it and its accurate. the 243 is a real good deer round. He took his first, a good sized buck, with one.

10. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

.243 is a fine deer slayer and light recoil...good for Zombies to

11. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Everything I have read said the 308 is a real kicker and some even said it was worse than a 30-06. I haven't shot either so I really have no idea. The kick was also one reason I chose the 30-30. I am a wuss so I use a slip over KICK-EEZ on the butt and I really like how good it works on recoil.

12. SWO1

IMO ..... NO WAY the 308 has heavy recoil. 06 is, or can be a MULE. My Savage 110 in 30-06 aint bad, and it has a solid rubber recoil pad. But I guess everyone has their own experiences. I dont think you can, or at least I cant, load a 308 anywere close to 06 recoil. My grand daughter, 10 last year, was shooting the 308, and pretty darn good also.

13. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

I agree SWO1. I use a .308 for deer season whereas my son-in-law uses a .30-06. His rifle kicks way more than mine. Also, IMO, the .308 is a little more accurate.

14. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

My savage .308 doesn`t kick bad...my 30-06 featherweight is brutal and 100% closet queen...a .308 will drop pert near anything in north America with proper shot placement...

15. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

You mean to tell me everything on the internet isn't true? Sort of like when a woman says she doesn't ever want to get married again? You just don't know what to believe anymore. LOL

16. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Yep, and Windy's hamburgers are never frozen, so they say.

17. luvs2hunt62

luvs2hunt62 New Member

I teach a youth gun safety and marksmanship course at my local gun club, and most junior shooters can easily handle a 308 if they are taught to hold the stock tight against their shoulder' Good shooter discipline re stock placement and trigger pull are vital to kids'(and adults) enjoyment of rifle shooting. My 15 yr old niece hunts with my 300 wby and has killed 2 deer with it and several hogs.l
    My experience with most of the guns mentioned would be to go with the Savage--the accutrigger is a delight, and they are very accurate.