Marlin Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to this forum, not new to marlins. Just purchased 1895 45/70 with 22" bbl. from Wal-Mart on close out for $300, any problems with accuracy with one's made under Remington manufacture. Wood look's good and metal to wood fit is nice. I sure hope it shoots as good as it look's. Any recommendation's on peep sight's at 67 these old eye's aren't as good as they once were

·
Registered
1 Posts
Congrats on your new Marlin. I've read good things about Remington-Marlin 45-70 accuracy. Brownells has a good selection of peep sights. My only peep sighted Marlin is a 25-20 model 27s and it also has a beech folding front sight which in combination do a very surprising job for my 60 year old eyes. It has a nickle-sized eye piece/diopter? and is adjustble only for distance. Lee or Marbles brand. Almost what it cost for your rifle to buy new. Sometimes you see them on e bait.

·
Registered
582 Posts
I can recommend the Skinner peep sights, have them on my 1894 and 336. You will need a taller front sight, but that can be worked out.

They are expensive but if you like the peep sights, well worth the money

·
Registered
36 Posts
$300 is a fantastic deal on an 1895! I have five Marlins, 4 older made in Connecticut and my newest a NY made 1895G. I know Marlin had some serious quality control issues during the first few years of NY manufacture but all of the current rifles that I have seen (including mine) are well finished. Mine is a very good shooter as well.

The two Walmarts within driving distance of me both still sell guns but neither had any Marlins in stock. I certainly would have bought another for $300!

·
Registered
36 Posts
As for sights, I have Williams receiver sights on two (.35Rem and .32WS) and scopes on the other three; .30-30 has a 4X Bushnell, 444 has a 1.5-5 Leupold and the .45-70 has an older Weaver 2.5x.

I like receiver sights but at 62 yo I am finding that a low power scope is a real help.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Sounds like you picked up a nice rifle. I personally don't think the Marlins made in the Remington factory have any issues now that the transition is a few years behind us. The fact that you found a good wood fit is impressive since it seems that some of the rifles sold at Wal-Mart are a little lacking in this category.

I like the Ghostring sites made by XS Sights as a peep site on my rifles.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I can't speak to the sights, but I can give you a suggestion on something else. I've had an 1895 45/70 for many years. It is the single most miserable rifle I've ever fired. Every round was like a Mike Tyson right to my shoulder. Had a Limb Saver grind-to-fit recoil pad installed. The rifle still kicks like a mule, but it doesn't hurt any more. Like you, I'm 67 and have an arthritic shoulder to deal with. YMMV, but that Limb Saver made all the difference to me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I put a WalMart $20 pull-on Limbsaver on mine and that helped a lot. Also gotta shy away Hornady Leverevolution 325gn. That stuff kicks like two mules.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts