1895 45/70

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by creeper, Aug 24, 2016.

1. creeper

creeper New Member

New to this forum, not new to marlins. Just purchased 1895 45/70 with 22" bbl. from Wal-Mart on close out for $300, any problems with accuracy with one's made under Remington manufacture. Wood look's good and metal to wood fit is nice. I sure hope it shoots as good as it look's. Any recommendation's on peep sight's at 67 these old eye's aren't as good as they once were

2. 86Indy

86Indy New Member

Congrats on your new Marlin. I've read good things about Remington-Marlin 45-70 accuracy. Brownells has a good selection of peep sights. My only peep sighted Marlin is a 25-20 model 27s and it also has a beech folding front sight which in combination do a very surprising job for my 60 year old eyes. It has a nickle-sized eye piece/diopter? and is adjustble only for distance. Lee or Marbles brand. Almost what it cost for your rifle to buy new. Sometimes you see them on e bait.

3. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I can recommend the Skinner peep sights, have them on my 1894 and 336. You will need a taller front sight, but that can be worked out.

They are expensive but if you like the peep sights, well worth the money

4. creeper

creeper New Member

Thanks for the info2

5. JDCoolCeltic

JDCoolCeltic Member

Good for you Creeper. I got one too, and mine is accurate right out of the box

6. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

$300 - Wow! Our local Walmarts don't carry guns.

7. KS95B40

KS95B40 Active Member

$300 is a fantastic deal on an 1895! I have five Marlins, 4 older made in Connecticut and my newest a NY made 1895G. I know Marlin had some serious quality control issues during the first few years of NY manufacture but all of the current rifles that I have seen (including mine) are well finished. Mine is a very good shooter as well.

The two Walmarts within driving distance of me both still sell guns but neither had any Marlins in stock. I certainly would have bought another for $300!

8. KS95B40

KS95B40 Active Member

As for sights, I have Williams receiver sights on two (.35Rem and .32WS) and scopes on the other three; .30-30 has a 4X Bushnell, 444 has a 1.5-5 Leupold and the .45-70 has an older Weaver 2.5x.

I like receiver sights but at 62 yo I am finding that a low power scope is a real help.

9. Sounds like you picked up a nice rifle. I personally don't think the Marlins made in the Remington factory have any issues now that the transition is a few years behind us. The fact that you found a good wood fit is impressive since it seems that some of the rifles sold at Wal-Mart are a little lacking in this category.

I like the Ghostring sites made by XS Sights as a peep site on my rifles.

10. Donn

Donn Active Member

I can't speak to the sights, but I can give you a suggestion on something else. I've had an 1895 45/70 for many years. It is the single most miserable rifle I've ever fired. Every round was like a Mike Tyson right to my shoulder. Had a Limb Saver grind-to-fit recoil pad installed. The rifle still kicks like a mule, but it doesn't hurt any more. Like you, I'm 67 and have an arthritic shoulder to deal with. YMMV, but that Limb Saver made all the difference to me.

11. JDCoolCeltic

JDCoolCeltic Member

I put a WalMart $20 pull-on Limbsaver on mine and that helped a lot. Also gotta shy away Hornady Leverevolution 325gn. That stuff kicks like two mules.

12. LawMan255

LawMan255 New Member

In my opinion, XS makes the best ghost ring sights for levers.
    I have them on my 95SBL and my 95G. Love them!