Marlin Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, new to the forum. Looking for any suggestions for optics on a new 1895 SBL using hornady lever evolution 325gr loads. This is my first lever action rifle and I am not sure what would suit me best. It will be used as a bush gun, 200 yrd shots at beat. Iv been considering the nikon prostaff in 3x9x40 BDC??

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Hey ya JMac. Welcome to the Marlin Forum and congrats on your first Lever Gun. The 1895 is an excellent choice. I really like the looks of a stainless rifle with the salt & pepper laminated stock.
As for the scope, opinions will vary and I'm sure will be forthcoming. The Nikon Pro-Staff is a good choice and the 3X9 would be suitable for 200 yard shots.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Ditto on welcome to the forum!! Don't be bashful like I am!

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Gumpy - sir - you are a class act.
Glad to have you as a part of our group. ;)

·
Premium Member
277 Posts
Hey guys, new to the forum. Looking for any suggestions for optics on a new 1895 SBL using hornady lever evolution 325gr loads. This is my first lever action rifle and I am not sure what would suit me best. It will be used as a bush gun, 200 yrd shots at beat. Iv been considering the nikon prostaff in 3x9x40 BDC??
I put a Bushnell XLT shotgun scope on my 1895 GBL....it gets out as far as I need easily , it lays almost directly down on the barell for very low profile and being a shotgun scope it has never had a problem with the 45-70 recoil. IMG_20120808_190407.jpg

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the warm invite gents. I was looking at several shotgun scopes due to the fact the the nikon I want is back ordered and impossible to find up here in ontario. I'm not worried about a low profile because I was thinking of keeping ghost ring on the SBL and running high quick release rings so the optics clear the ghost ring.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I can not find a prostaff up here, they are so far backordered it almost a 6 month wait. I can not wait that long, iv been looking at the burris timberline in a fixed power 4x. I'm thinking that will suit my needs

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
I can not find a prostaff up here, they are so far backordered it almost a 6 month wait. I can not wait that long, iv been looking at the burris timberline in a fixed power 4x. I'm thinking that will suit my needs
Try Cabelas, they were on sale a few weeks ago..

·
Registered
38 Posts
First try shooting your SBL with the stock peep sights. They are very nice and very capable out to 100 yards. If you shoot 200 yd shots frequently a scope would probably be prudent. These guide guns have a tremendous bullet drop past 150, so practice and you will be good to go for those 200 yd shot. Buy the way that's a bad a--- gun.You will love it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
bushnell elite

I have a bushnell elite 6500 1.25-8 om my 1895sbl. It has 6 inches of eye relief and is mounted so low I have had to remove the ghost ring sight.
regards Browndog

1 - 14 of 14 Posts