1897 Cowboy acquisition

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by Anvilhead, Dec 8, 2017.

1. Anvilhead

Anvilhead Member

I recently purchased a 1897 Cowboy with the 24” octagon barrel. A long time friend and gun store owner sold it to me as he is thinning out his collection. It is NIB with all the items Marlin included with it. I paid $925.00 for it. First of all I don’t want to sell it but I can’t seem to find any up to date values for it. I have been collecting for years and realize what can happen to prices when two or more people get into a bidding war. Does anyone know the realistic value on one of these? It really is a nice little rifle. Thank you for your help.

FordTruck and msharley like this.
  2. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey Anvil,

Welcome to the Marlin Forum.

Whee! A 24" 1897? !

I think you did good at $925...

Did you buy to collect? Or to use? (I most likely would have shot it, already) LOL

Later, Mark

3. Anvilhead

Anvilhead Member

I bought it to collect. I have a 39a that I love to shoot. I have told my friends for years that Marlin lever actions are the best made. Even the new ones are still made in the U.S.

msharley likes this.
  4. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Realistic Value...is usually what the market will bear.

You could name any price above what you paid and see if someone who really wants it bites...( yea...you're not selling it, I know )

Best bet is to go to the auction sites like Gun Broker / Gun Auctions, etc. ... or... Buy the current edition of the Blue Book of Gun Values by S. P. Fjestad ( $40 ).

5. Anvilhead

Anvilhead Member

I have seen some ridiculous prices paid for guns on auction sites.

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

OK...then buy The Blue Book of Gun Values by S. P. Fjestad. ( Barnes & Noble )

It's worth it if you have as many firearms as I do in my collection...

{ I buy one every three years }