1911 issue's

Discussion in 'Other Guns' started by FOUR4D4, Jan 25, 2015.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

I'm having these marks on the case has anyone seen these it sure is not affecting the accuracy. In the picture it shows also signs of excessive pressure which it is factory ammo. Could it be just a mark left by the ejector? Which someone said is normal, sometimes its just more noticeable.

One more thing is the first round don't feed after I rack the slide could this be me not retracting the slide hard enough?

Attached Files:

2. frgood

frgood Active Member

I will venture a guess. But, I am also a beginner. I am wondering if the mark is the result of the slide catching the round in the magazine. if there was more resistance than usual, for example the magazine sides being a little too tight or the ramp not quite aligned, I could see the round simply resisting a little more than usual.

Do both symptoms happen with different magazines?

3. FOUR4D4

Im not sure about both magazines. But I need another trip to the range. And I really hate to have to send it in to Ruger

4. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

A couple of thoughts on the issues

First round not feed/seating proberly. Did you get two Mags, a 7 round and an 8 round ? Might be the spring tension in one or both. Have you locked the slide back, inserted a Mag and release the slide with the slide stop, or do you rack in a round with the slide closed ?

Also could just load 5 or less in the mag and see if the problem goes away ... Would indicate a tight mag spring.

Strange marks indeed on the case. to see what may be causing it note the location of extractor, insert a round by hand and after firing check if it is in the location of the mark. It also could be the bottom of the bolt hitting the case as it strips it from the mag. Noting where the round sits in the chamber (for example the word Federal or the R - M roll mark at the top of the chamber would tell you at what point in relation to the bolt face is causing it.

5. FOUR4D4

Good Points SW I need another trip to the range and take note

6. frgood

frgood Active Member

Nice thought! I like it. Maybe even using a permanent marker on the bottom of the round to note the orientation and carefully loading the magazine.

7. FOUR4D4

Thanks Frgood

I found the culprit I did a google search and found out that a lot of 1911 have this area on the breech face it come from the milling process'
    It does not effect the accuracy or function of the gun. These are what I found and my 1911 looks like this. I looked at my gun and bingo. These are not my pictures since my phone take cruddy pictures I used what I found with similar so no. I don't own a Glock cleaning mat LOL

I think I will still call Ruger
    Thanks You for the replies

Dennis

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  8. frgood

frgood Active Member

Good news indeed!

9. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

After your last post had to go look at my 2 1911s. They are Rock Island in .38 Super and .45 ACP. Both have the same area on the bolt face. I then checked about 100 pieces of brass waiting for reloading ..... No marks on the brass. At first glance dont notice them. Had to use a bore light and then they showed up. I took the tip of my pocket knife and I can feel them. thanks for posting your findings. Guess I wont worry about it now, even tho neither pistol has been any problem.

10. FOUR4D4

That's the whole reason that I'm sending mine back It doesn't effect the functioning or accuracy. And if I wasn't planning on reloading I would leave it alone. I could file it down my self, then I wonder if that could void my warranty?