2013 Spring Turkey Hunt Thread

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Jan 28, 2013.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Ya had a great day shoppin...turkey gear.....AND PRIMERS....WOW !!

I never could operate one of those diaphram thingy-bobs. Guess it relates to not being abe to whistle very well either....:confused: I just stick to my ole Box call...Had it for about 25 years. To locate a gobbler a Crow or Owl call is good. Toms like to answer them.

Finding the right choke and shells for a turkey gun is like huntin for a proper reload for a particular rifle. Me and my oldest grandson both shoot a 835 Mossey....Different choke and shells for the best pattern. You will find the smaller shot ( #6 i.e.) will hold a tighter pattern than larger shot (more pellets also). Now that is a general rule.....Hope your mixture is satisfactory.....:cool:

How do you measure your patterns .......For Turkey I like a 30" at 30 yards with 60%+ of the pellets in that diameater. I would think with the 870 and 3" 12 ga. you would be good to about 50 yards.

REMEMBER....Head and High Neck shots....Only takes 1 pellet up-side the brain housing group.

2. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

My soon to be turkey huntin officionado extrordinare sais to pattern a turkey choke at 40 yards with #4 shot so I`ll try that. However bein a total green horn I`m open to suggestions and will try #6 as well. I also have a full choke to try. (Gotta love choke tubes) I have 2 barrel choices. A 28" vent rib and a 20" barrel with rifle sights. Both barrels use choke tubes..Trial and error I guess

3. SWO1

Ya can't argue with success by a seasoned hunter. Seems like a good way also to get data on your gun. As long as you have them might as well try different barrels as well.

I use a Bone Collector XXFull choke on the Mossey 835. Although a 12 ga. the tube is just a hair under 10 ga. Mine has a 30" tube and my grandsons has a 26". His patterns BETTER than mine using 2 3/4 " #5 Fiocchi. I shoot 3" Federal #6. But he did take a fall bird with a 3 1/2 Win #6 thru brush.

I back my 3" Fed up with a Win 3 1/2.

4. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Some friends of mine went yesterday, and the only thing they called in was some other hunters! lol

5. SWO1

Checked the critter cam today....More deer, crows, and coyote. STILL NO TURKEYS. I and others see them around the area, so they are here....SOMEWHERE !!! Still a month away...Youth season: 6-7 Apr, Regular season: 15 Apr opener. Lots of time yet. Waitin for that early morning GOBBLE.

6. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

7. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Now why can't the turkeys here march straight out of the woods towards my gun like that?!

8. oldbrass

Those are the liberal turkeys ,they`re protesting hunting

9. SWO1

I'm sure we could round up enough P.E.T.A. (People Eating Tasty Animals) members on this forum to go and take care of the terrioist flock.........:D

We would even take Shotgun Joe's advice and use Scatter Guns.....:eek:

10. CallMaker

CallMaker Active Member

April 15 for spring turkey here. Snow in the hills prevents me from getting up the road to camp just yet. I'm looking forward to some scouting in the next 2-3 weeks.

11. oldbrass

April 15 here to, trout opens the 16th....glory be !!

12. dads81-DL

dads81-DL Well-Known Member

26 days till spring turkey time.

13. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Guess what I saw this morning? Two big toms in full display, all fanned out nice and pretty. They were bringing up the rear with a band of turkey's I've been watching since last year. Had about a dozen hens & jakes out front. I imagine the jakes will probably get the boot real soon. Had four of those young bachelors walk into the backyard, but finally notice something wasn't quite right with me standing there. Hope they learned so they could have grown bigger for this year.

14. SWO1

I havn't heard or seen Diddly-squat on me. After taking 5 of 6 in the spring thought it would be a piece of cake this fall. Deer are thick as fleas but NO THUNDER CHICKENS....So Far. Might have to actually BUY a tag and go on my brother-in-law or nephew or somewhere this fall. Will be the first time ever since I've lived here. I will still use my landowners tags and try...BUT DONT LOOK PROMISING. I see them all around the area...Just not on me....:confused:

15. dads81-DL

I took my wife and son out to shoot some turkey targets. She used the boy's 870 20 ga, but kept shooting high. my boy will be 12 on Sunday says , "here mom, let me show you how" he shoots at 2 diff targets at 25 yards . 10 #6 shot in each head. and says.... "that's how ya do it mom". and then she gave him " that look" LOL

16. SWO1

Even a 20 with Turkey loads has a LITTLE PUNCH !! Bet she is flinchin. She will be ok..just have her aim at the base of the neck...as long as she is consistant. Good luck to all.

17. dads81-DL

I think it's the way she's lining up the bead. But she us a lefty shooting right handed. :)

18. SWO1

0540 on 6 Apr, 52 deg., slight breeze. Will take the youngest grandson out about 0615. Havn't heard or seen anything lately but ya never know. They are around. He patterened his Mossey 500 20 with Rem 3" #5s yesterday afternoon and is good out to 30 yards. Will see if I can call one in for him.

Tomorrow will take the grandaugher out for her first time. She will be shooting the Mossey 500 410 with 3" #4s. It holds a good pattern at 25 yards for her.

It's youth weekend so grandpa will be packin the calls, coffee thermos, and camera......:p

19. SWO1

No Turkey today. Did see one, about 200 yds. across a draw on the next place over. Told the grandson got to get him to come about 125 yds across the fence on us. You have a landowners tag and have to shoot him here. When we started calling he took a couple of looks in our direction and walked off up the hill and out of sight. Heard another one about an hour later.....A long way off. He gobbled a few times and that was all we heard from him. We called for another couple hours and nothing. Walked the back fence line for 80 acres calling every 50 yards.....Hoot owls, woodpeckers, didn't even see a bushy tail. Tomorrow is another day.

20. dads81-DL

My sister and brother n law invited my. wife , son and I to hunt their property. we went and scouted yesterday. Nice patch woods,a area where they dust and plenty of tracks where they walk to last yrs cut corn field.
    This afternoon we put up the pop-up blind to see how it works , and now fighting to get it back in the bag. 15 days till our hunt. ..... Oh yeah, ya should see my wife's shoulder after putting 18 rounds through the 20 gauge from Friday..... and still wants to go shoot Tues or Wednesday:)