22 mag

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. wjjones

wjjones Well-Known Member

I have been looking at some of the 22 magnums I really want to get one soon. I cant decide on rifle, or pistol though.

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I'm not a firearms expert, but, from what I've been told, the 22 mag is basically a rifle cartridge. It's true, there are numerous pistols chambered for the 22 mag., but because of the type of powder used, it requires a longer barrel to achieve the advertized performance. I've been told that the velocity and energy of the 22 mag. from a pistol isn't much better than a 22 lr. although the bullet is heavier.
    I have just recently seen Defense Ammo for the 22 mag. Maybe they have started using a faster burning powder for that round????????
    I have (past tense) owned numerous Ruger Single Six Convertibles with the Mag. cylinder. I found myself using the lr. cylinder most of the time. The report of the Mag. was extremely loud, they cost more and were not as accurate because there was noticeable more recoil. However, I once owned a Thompsom Contender with the 22 mag. barrel. Now that was fun. :))
    Just food for thought. The choice is yours. I'm sure that you will enjoy either one.

Grey

Last edited: Jul 2, 2012

3. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

The popularity of the 22mag is soaring in pistols. Most velocities I have seen are around 1200fps from a handgun which is 22lr performance from a long gun so that's not to bad. I saw that defense ammo in Cabella's latest mailer and I've heard that handgun specific ammo was coming for the 22mag. If they can get 1600fps suddenly the PMR30 becomes a pretty awesome handgun, 30 rounds and all.

4. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

I had an Excel 22 Mag Autoloading pistol with 8" barrel and it would get 1600fps with regular 40gr loads and 1800fps with the 30gr loads.
    1400fps would be great in the Kel Tec pistol with its shorter barrel.

5. Mongo

Mongo Member

I have a Sears(Marlin 980)22Magnum. I got it used for $100. It's very accurate even with a 16" barrel. I sent a question to Numrich asking if the Marlin Model 80 barrel will fit my 980.The Model 80 has a 22' or 24" barrel. I'm thinking another 6 or 8 inches will give more velocity as well as the longer sight radius. Any opinions on this?

6. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

If thats a 22 magnum rifle it was probably a 782 or somesuch if it was marked Sears. Sears hasn't carried rifles in a long time. A marlin 80 is a 22LR not a magnum. If you want a longer barrel it would probably be cheaper to get a new Marlin 22 mag rifle from walmart for around 220 and sell the old one. Otherwise you would have to get a barrel and have a gunsmith take your old one off and fit the new one on and headspace it, etc.
    If interested in selling it, contact me on here. I would be interested in a short barrel 22 magnum for portability. I'd like to see pics of it and you can send them to [email protected] even if you don't want to sell it.
    Marlin made a short barrel one called the Midget magnum but I think it was a singelshot bolt action.

7. Mongo

Mongo Member

It is a 782 model. I decided to keep it because of the cost to replace it would be about $200. It has no serial number. I called Marlin directly and asked about this model. I was told these were first made in 1971. They couldn't tell when they started stamping serial numbers. I asked for a new striker spring. They said no parts were available for the 782 Model. The Rep took the time to search and found the spring I needed was available from a different model Marlin. I was also able to get a trigger spring and sear spring. I will shorten all of them until I get a crisp, smooth trigger(about 3 lb).

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  8. hdbg62

hdbg62 New Member

Back in the very early 80’s I chose my 782 in 22 MAG. over an Anschütz, a high dollar rifle, vaunted for its accuracy which is made in Germany and sells for multiple times the price of a 788. Did this based on the recommendation of a friend and never have regretted my decision; less than ¼:” groups at 75 yards. Back then, I had it set up for night small varmint hunting (up to fox) with a Brinkman spot light attached to the scope which also had see through mounts. It’s a beautiful rifle in the old tradition, beautiful walnut carved stock with a white spacer on the butt end. At my age I don’t do much spot lighting anymore, the rifle now has a just regular scope set-up and a special place in my gun cabinet.

Attached Files:

9. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

Go to this thread to see the numbers on 22 WMR from a PMR30. Only about 500 fps loss from what the round is supposed to have. Really not bad. So out of a pistol the 22 WMR is close to the same as a 22lr from a rifle, but 22 WMR out of a rifle is 2000 fps or better depending on the round and tip.

http://www.thektog.org/forum/f90/pmr-30-muzzle-velocities-251233/

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  10. Underdog

Underdog Member

Here is my new XT22M, out of the box it has been perfect.
    [​IMG]

11. cjn79

cjn79 Active Member

Honestly I really like those CCI maximags. They shoot great and do some nasty damage. :)

12. Underdog

Underdog Member

CCI has a new packaging of 250 rounds of 22wmr. It's a black box with the name Landry on the side. Here is a link..... http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/product/2-CCI955 I'm going to grab a box or two and try them out, it seems like a good price.

13. Goldentornado

Goldentornado Member

I recently purchased the new model Marlin XT22M. This is my favorite rifle now that I put a Leapers 4x16 50mm scope on it. With such a wide smattering of bullets from many manufactuers it truly is very versatile. From 30gr Ballistic tips at 2250fps to 50gr JHP at 1530fps. Seams to perform best though with Remington Premier 33gr. I can get groupings at 100yds about the the size of a postage stamp some are bullet on top of bullet! These are 14 dollars per 50rnd box. But winchester makes a 45 gr cphp thats about 9 bucks per box. Its worth the extra money to have a 22wmr instead of 22lr where your bullet choices are limited! Then ther is also the extra speed on average of 400 to 600 fps faster than 22lr.

14. Goldentornado

Goldentornado Member

I love mine too. Nice photo of my favorite rifle! XT22M VERY VERY NICE INDEED!I put a Leapers 4x16 50mm scope on mine they are such a joy to shoot and very accurate!

15. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

Serial numbers started in 1968 due to the Gun Control Act of 1968...
    so that 1971 SHOULD have one...on the left side of the receiver!!
    It is entirely possible that a previous owner accidently painted over it with flat black paint...but it should be there...
    might be under the stock...on the left side...
    Secondary marking should be on the barrel, two letters on the left side just about an 1/2 inch below the dovetail for the rear sight.

All 882 parts should interchange...along with most 925/982 and XT22 parts...
    trigger group exchange is possible, but difficult...have a gunsmith do it if you go that route...

16. cjn79

cjn79 Active Member

I'm going to check into that one thanks. I want a new .22 wmr that I can trick all out so thanks for info.

17. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

I have a Henry 22 Mag with a Leupold M8 4x scope on it. It is a great set up I like the 22 mag.

18. 375hunter

375hunter Member

Send photos please. I shoot .22lr so I want to compare.

19. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Grey
    I have dropped thousands of "skippy's" over the years, with the 22 Magnun, even a few cows, for farmer mates. All just 1 shot.
    Had an Erma, lever action.
    I regret the day I sold it, and maybe one day I will get another

20. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

The Erma Lever action is the forerunner of the Henry. The Erma, Ithica 72, and the Iver Johnson lever guns were all the same weapon as is the Henry. The family that owns Henry first had Erma make their guns. When the Henry lever guns came out some of the guys on the Forums kept saying well will they last like the Marlins, Brownings and Winchester 22 lever guns? Once pointed out to them that some folks have had the Erma guns for well over 20 years it kinda shut them up on that subject.