22 mag

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by duster066, Feb 11, 2012.

1. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

Not much to compare the 22 mag looks the same as the 22 LR Henry Lever guns.

2. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Aguila ammo

Has anyone tried the 1750 fps Aguila 22 LR ammo? I got some good 75 yard groups. Havent fired them at 100. I aint as good a shooter as some of you but 3/4 x 1/2" aint too bad.

3. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

My 22 mag. is also a derringer.A High Standard.You have to be conscious of not sticking your fingers past the end of the barrels.Ugly things could happen.
    My first boss,in a real job,had a "combination" gun,22 mag over 20Ga.I can't remember who made it,but I've always wanted one myself.It seems pretty versatile.

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

First off - Welcome to the forum. Glad to see that you have made yourself at home.
    I believe the under/over that you speak of would be a Savage. I don't know of any other mfgs. that made that combo. They are very versatile but they are getting pricy, if you can find them.
    As I said before, if I could own only one rifle (Lord forbid), it would be a 22 mag. Most likely with a lever hanging on the bottom. A Henry or a Win. 9422M. ;)

5. bob2231

bob2231 Active Member

I'm pretty sure it was a Savage mod 24.I've looked around some and it seems that the calibers certainly drive the prices,but $500 would be about an average.
    For what's really a single shot,that puts the price in the luxury gun range for me.So,that's not likely.
    On the up side,he did give me an M1 carbine and an Enfield.I guess I can't complain.

6. northriverhunter

northriverhunter New Member

I think the savage you mean is the model 42, just seen it in cabela's. The one I seen had the option of 22LR or 22 mag over a .410 but it could just be a newer version.

7. hunter5567

hunter5567 Well-Known Member

The new version is the 42 and its polymer/steel. Its a neat gun but it doesn't have any choke in the 410 tube which makes it useless to me.
    The old models were 24's and they came in 22/410, 22/20ga, 22mag/410 or 20 ga. Then they made some with rifle calibers over 20ga or 12ga.
    They had 222,223, 357mag, 30-30 as the top barrels. They may have made some other calibers too with the bottom barrel a 12ga.
    Springfield Armory had a 22LR (may have had a 22mag also) or 22 Hornet over a 410 and it was all metal gun with the trigger being a bar. Back in the day Garcia marketed a Bronco all metal skeleton stock model that was 22/410 as well as singleshots in 22LR or 410.
    I have a Rossi switch barrel combo with separate 22Lr barrel and 410 barrel. Bought it back when they were 109 or 119 at walmart. i beleive they are 159 now.
    The combo guns are great but if you put a scope on it make sure its a long eye relief model when using the 20ga part. Bushnell makes a 6" eye relief scope which would be great for one of those for people like me that are older and its harder to align iron sights on a squirrel's head at 25-35 yards.
    Back in the day I could light matches with iron sights shooting the top of them. I can do it now but it requires a scope or at least a red dot scope.
    I wouldn't mind having one of those 42's if it had a choke in the barrel or choke tubes. They had one at the local walmart for $367.
    Most people don't know that 410's are pattened at 30 yards when designated full choke. It needs all the help it can get.
    I have heard the tungsten heavy shot loaded in 410's will give full choke patterns at 40 yards and you can use the next size up shot than normal.
    Say if you used 6's on squirrels you can use 7.5's, 8's or even 9's.
    The pellets are heavier than lead and nontoxic.

8. Goldentornado

Goldentornado Member

Xt22m

Yes I agree perfect one gun!

9. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

My only .22 mag is this savage model 93 left-hand bolt. I`ve had it about 10 years and put maybe 200 rounds thru it si its basically a safe queen.

Attached Files:

10. jh45gun

jh45gun Member

The 22 mag I had in a Henry was a safe queeen also I shot less than two boxes through it in the ten years I had it I traded it off to get a Rossi Ranch Hand in 45 Colt. I just felt 22 mag was too pricey to target shoot or plink with and not enough use for varmints where I live in WI. I cast my own bullets so I can load and shoot center fires cheaper than could buying 22 mag.It is a great cartridge for those that do not reload and want a little more than the LR can deliver. But I also felt some 22 LR now is encroaching on the lower end of 22 mag so I felt I did not need it anymore I have two Marlin 80 DL rifles.

11. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I don't shoot mine very often for all of the same reasons. But every time I drag it out I love it. I wish there was a reliable way to reload rim fire.

12. Spud9

Spud9 Well-Known Member

I have two H&R 700 .22WMR semi auto rifles and I love shooting them. I always bring at least one to the range everytime I go, which isn't enough. One is a safe queen.... 100%, and it shoots beautifully. The other is a DL model about 95% mint.

13. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

I've been using my .30 cal. carbine for a .22! lol It makes a mess out of a wild cat or a squirrels head, lol I'm gettin' low on boolits tho.

14. DUTCHS

DUTCHS Well-Known Member Supporting

This is my Savage .22mag. Bull barell, accutrigger and Sig Sauer 3x optic. Crazy accurate at 100 yards. I LOVE shooting the .22 mag round. 0308131121.jpg

15. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Sounds like you need a 22 Hornet. ;)

16. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

That's a sure nuff nice rifle, Dutchs!

17. DUTCHS

Thanks. Gumpy. .she's a real fun shooter!

18. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

You read my mind. I wish I had paid attention to those who told me that before I bought the mag. However I really do like 22mag, so it will be staying put. I am considering a Hornet now. But my enthusiasm for shooting has been set back by this panic. I'm in a holding pattern until I can get reloading supplies again. This damn Boston thing will do nothing to help settle the dust. I've been spending gun money on my hot rod instead.

19. tango6

tango6 Member

I have a 922M that I use for hogs. It is very accurate and dependable for a semi. Have had numerous folks try to buy it but not for sale.

Attached Files:

20. DUTCHS

Thanks Gumpy....I get the most for my money from it probably than any rifle I have. It's a real fun shooter in my opinion!!:D