Marlin Forums banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

· Registered
74 Posts
I have a Mossberg 464.

Right now it is squirrel and rabbit season and deer coming up tomorrow. No time to play with the 30-30 but I appreciate your tips. If anyone has any H335 around here I will try it.
Another very similar powder is BL-C2. I've used both and gotten great results with both Microgroove rifling and standard Ballard rifling, which is probably closer to your Mossberg.
When it comes to jacketed bullets, regular rifling does about the same results as Microgroove.

· Registered
68 Posts

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Back when I was loading the 125 gr. FN/HP for my 336, I used H-4895 with good success. I used the Hpdgdon Loading Data and loaded at or near the max. recommended load. Just saying.
Wishing youy much success.
Hey Gray, I think just about every rifle likes H4895. I have trouble finding it...or did, but I am just now getting back to the loading bench after a couple years of medical problems. Diabetes, went on insulin, gained almost 100 lbs, got skin cancers and now bladder cancer.

Can't drive my usual heavy vehicles with the insulin usage so...My legs give me fits and I get crap from a few neighbors because I ask them to not stand by my apartment windows to smoke. I guess I am a jerk. But I am back in the saddle, literally...I got a saddle type stool and it is great for reloading.

I am doing 3030 and 5.56/.223. I bought the Mossberg MMR and assembled a Bear Creek AR Carbine with the 223 Wylde chamber. Now I am trying to get to the range. First the MMR had to have a new trigger so that kept me home for a while, then the Kit gun needed some work on the bolt catch. I figured out the recoil spring was 1.75 coils too long. I cut that much off and it works fine now...but I still have not made it to the range.

Maybe in a week or so when the snow is gone and the weather warms up enough to help get rid of some of this mud. Fingers crossed.

· Registered
1,813 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Another very similar powder is BL-C2. I've used both and gotten great results with both Microgroove rifling and standard Ballard rifling, which is probably closer to your Mossberg.
When it comes to jacketed bullets, regular rifling does about the same results as Microgroove.
I see BL-C2 on a lot of loads. It seems to be a good powder because it is bold printed as possible most accurate quite often. It is just hard to know what to get. I have 30 lbs of powder in stock and I am trying to use up the open cans. I have been loading plinkers with the old stuff so I can fill the holes in the shelf area next with new powders. It ain't goin so well. But, I am workin on it again.

· Registered
74 Posts
I know the issue of having way too much powder to choose from! I must have close to 100 lbs. and most is in 1 lb. cans. Some of it is powder I've never used and still don't. I used to buy every pound a friend was tired of if it was cheap, plus buying some estates of reloading supplies and keeping the powders. I need to get rid of some powders that I know I'll never use since they're for things like magnum pistols or shotguns I don't own.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.