Marlin Forums banner

336 Lessons (aka - Stop Being Friendly?)

4K views 12 replies 7 participants last post by  MostlyOnThePaper 
#1 ·
As a new shooter of about 18 months, I am finding an affinity for 336’s. My first one is a 2013 336W. The only thing I did was find a leather loop sling and wrap the stock with a shell carrier. After some practice out to 75 yards, I went on my first hog hunt and had the time of my life.

Upon my return, I received advice from every person that strolled past me at the range. I know we are a helpful bunch, but sometimes… This gist of responses to this newbie is that I should change the sights from ‘those awful buckhorns’ to a peep sight or similar form. This past weekend I did just that.

I purchased a set of Skinner sights for one and William Peep Sights for a second 336 I have. Again, all the "Helpful Gus’s" were about. Where 4 hours was spent coming to the conclusion that I need to get the ‘taller’ set of front sights. By this time, I’m starting to get mad at my frustration; partially, at all the advice, but mostly at myself for listening to them. I try to be friendly and engaging. I enjoy talking to folks. I welcome gathering knowledge. But there is a point.

As the sun was preparing to set, I now am merely trying to just have a relaxing time at the range. I pulled out my Rem 783 and embark on a new journey for me. Trying to shoot out to 200 and 300 yds for the first time, I review what I’ve studied all week on trajectory, drop, windage, etc. I fire off a few rounds. This time I’m flat out ignoring any advice. Fortunately, I have a crappy spotting scope so no one can see if I am even hitting the target. A nice younger guy nearby, seeing my frustration, simply look down on his and told me quietly that I’m getting a group and ‘have at it’.

Back to my Marlins. At the end of the day, as I’m sailing down the highway towards home, I find myself thinking “The original iron sights gave me a 4” group at 100yds”. This is my goal and so I’m simply going back to that and no more money and time wasted. I can go on practice my offhand skill. My only next purchase will be an original set of front and rear 336 sights for the used Marlins I’ve purchased.

[FONT=&quot]Mini-Punchline – Once home, there is a package waiting for me. It is a Leupol d VX-1 Hog 1-4. Arghhhh! It is so beautiful and the relief is perfect, and the reticle is so nice. Well, Satruday? Here we go!!! [/FONT]

See less See more
#6 · (Edited)
Advice is nice but sometimes it's best to say thanks I will try that and go about your own way. Then scope the internet for what he told you before spending and possibly wasting money. What works for someone else will not necessarily work for me.

Don't get me wrong I am big for learning and have peed off a few for asking questions like what would I gain and why. If your butter knife spreads so much better than mine then explain to me why. If they don't have an explanation then they just might not know what they are talking about.
My 30-30 336 has nice oval sight rings that allow me to use my iron stock sights or use the scope for farther out shots. I didn't even notice this till a friend, much more knowledgeable than I, pointed the dual purpose of the sight rings. I am so glad I know about it now. I often remove scopes because I like using the oem iron sights. Now I can have my cake and eat it to. Dang I am already to fat.

#7 · (Edited)
Right there with you @straightshooter.

I am on the fence when it comes to advice. Mind you, I have been known to completely frustrate others when in a classroom as I take full advantage and ask every question I want. My thinking has always been, "Hey I"m paying for this class. I'm getting my money's worth."

Now, for unsolicited advice. It does vary. If someone points out something that is sorely wrong or unsafe, I am grateful. For example, the first time I set up a rifle and a sand bag. the passing RO noted that I placed the barrel on the bag and simply made note that I should place the forearm on the bag for proper accuracy. He watched me for a few moments to ensure I was safe and moved on. No problem.

In contrast to quick advice, hovering over me until I finish my string followed with a discussion of how skinner sights are better than the OEM Buckhorn's is downright irritating. If I say something technically incorrect, I do not mind being corrected. I love to learn. I, also, love to figure things out and I do enjoy learning through asking questions.

Confused? here is the cliff note

1. If I am about to have an 'accident', stop me.
2. If i do something blatantly inaccurate (barrel on bag), feel free to correct during a break.
3. If I am using a product you do not prefer. Write a book and send it to me.

A good example is how I tried to clean a badly rusted 336 this past weekend. Now that has turned into a learning lesson. I think it is going to be an expensive lesson. But you know what? That is part of this sport.

#8 ·
frgood; I feel your pain. I have a set of XS Ghost Rings in my parts box in the basement. They were supposed to be the best. I felt that the rear aperture was way too open and the front sight needed to be higher. That and the fact that the barrel on my 35 Rem. was about 2 degrees canted to the right and the rear sight ran out of adjustment before the point of impact was on. It worked fine with the factory sights or a scope. (that rifle is very happy at it's new home & I'm enjoying the 20 ga. O/U that I traded it for)
However, I do like the idea of peeps and I would consider Williams or Skinner Sights.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.