336cb 38-55

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by RedCent, Nov 13, 2016.

1. RedCent

RedCent Member

I have one of these and it has been an enigma.
    I have "built" rifles for myself over forty years setting the barreled actions into very good wood. Douglas Barrels barreled the actions. From 22-250 to 7MM Rem Mag. And they are all accurate.

I bought the Marlin to get in the side matches of SASS events and monthly "Buffalo Matches locally. We shoot up to three hundred yards depending on the club. However, I am disappointed in its accuracy. I expect 1 1/2" @ 100 yards.

I have loaded the 38-55 long and short and sideways. Crimp and no crimp. 255 gr moly. 4227, 3031, Unique, 5744, 4895, Red Dot, and some others.

And then I ran across something that really disappointed me. I started to read about the Marlin lever gun chamber.

Before I go deeper, does anyone here have a Marlin in 38-55 that will do 2" at 100 yards consistently?

2. RedCent

RedCent Member

3. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey Red Cent,

Yes.

Using a couple different cast bullets, both Penn Bullets and Moyer's, and a bullet a pal casts for me, with 10.0 gr of Universal Clays, am consistently grouping about 1-1/8" to 1-1/4" at the 100 yard line.

You want a .380" or .381" cast bullet, for best result.

Skinner Alaskan rear sight, and a Skinner "Blade" up front.

Have other pics, can't seem to locate them? (am a confuser ignoramus) LOL

Later, Mark

Attached Files:

4. RedCent

RedCent Member

Hi Msharley.

Thanks for the response. Have you done anything to the rifle except the load?
    I would love to get my rifle to do that consistently. My rifle has evolved from a pretty accurate rifle to a shotgun. A few months back I could ring a turkey at 300 yards, 3 out of 5 rounds. I placed 3rd in that match behind a number $2000.00+ Sharps and some Hi-Walls.
    What bullet are you using in the Penn and Moyer line? Also what weight?
    My 336 squished a lead sinker down so that it measured .378" on the outside of the grooves. .380s does not show improvement. If anything, they are unstable at 200 showing just a tad of bullet wobble.
    I am using 255gr Bear Creek moly bullets @ .379. There are some things I need to do to the rifle. It has occurred to me that a good polishing of the crown may be in order.
    Wish I had the skill to re-barrel and cut a decent chamber for the rifle. I strongly believe that I would be amazed with a good barrel and proper chamber.
    Have you ever studied the chamber of the 38-55?

5. msharley

msharley Well-Known Member

Hey Red Cent,

First, make sure the barrel is not fouled. (if you have used jacketed bullets, they may have left copper deposits, easily removed with Sweet's 7.62 Solvent)

Bob (at http://pennbullets.com/3855/3855-caliber.html ) only casts the 245 gr bullet.

Have only used Moyer's http://moyerscastbullets.com/rifle.html 260 gr Gas Checked bullet, at .380". It shoots like a house on fire.

I would not "cut/ream" the chamber in your rifle.....(there are many tales of those who regretted it)

I am using the Starline "long" brass, with a roll crimp.

Check your screws, both on the "wrist" and the "forearm". Also check the trigger plate screws.

Some rifles seem to "prefer" the "short" brass. (do not know the exact numbers, but do know the "long" brass can be trimmed to "short" length.

I can routinely "ring" the 10" dinger at the 200 yard line.........off hand, with either the PennBullet or the Moyer's Bullet.

Using shooting sticks, can ring it every time. LOL (sticks are almost "cheating") LOL

Do know a man whose rifle "likes" a .382" bullet (that he casts) ??

Have had real good success on the chronograph with the Universal Clays......single digit "extreme spreads".

Fed 210 primer.........

Hope some of this helps.

Later, Mark