Marlin Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have one of these and it has been an enigma.
I have "built" rifles for myself over forty years setting the barreled actions into very good wood. Douglas Barrels barreled the actions. From 22-250 to 7MM Rem Mag. And they are all accurate.

I bought the Marlin to get in the side matches of SASS events and monthly "Buffalo Matches locally. We shoot up to three hundred yards depending on the club. However, I am disappointed in its accuracy. I expect 1 1/2" @ 100 yards.

I have loaded the 38-55 long and short and sideways. Crimp and no crimp. 255 gr moly. 4227, 3031, Unique, 5744, 4895, Red Dot, and some others.

And then I ran across something that really disappointed me. I started to read about the Marlin lever gun chamber.

Before I go deeper, does anyone here have a Marlin in 38-55 that will do 2" at 100 yards consistently?

· Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Msharley.

Thanks for the response. Have you done anything to the rifle except the load?
I would love to get my rifle to do that consistently. My rifle has evolved from a pretty accurate rifle to a shotgun. A few months back I could ring a turkey at 300 yards, 3 out of 5 rounds. I placed 3rd in that match behind a number $2000.00+ Sharps and some Hi-Walls.
What bullet are you using in the Penn and Moyer line? Also what weight?
My 336 squished a lead sinker down so that it measured .378" on the outside of the grooves. .380s does not show improvement. If anything, they are unstable at 200 showing just a tad of bullet wobble.
I am using 255gr Bear Creek moly bullets @ .379. There are some things I need to do to the rifle. It has occurred to me that a good polishing of the crown may be in order.
Wish I had the skill to re-barrel and cut a decent chamber for the rifle. I strongly believe that I would be amazed with a good barrel and proper chamber.
Have you ever studied the chamber of the 38-55?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.