444 die came in today

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by FOUR4D4, Nov 1, 2014.

1. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Me and my wife where gone most of the day, Went to Lowes and stayed in there for about an hour while my wife picked out the kitchen faucet she wants me to install .I told her Im not starting it until Monday when the hardware stores are all open they close tomorrow you know Murphy's Law.

My dies where in the mail box when I got home Good old Lee Precision sent me a brand new one. I'm setting up the press tonight and give it another try, What's everybody's experience on this should? I wait till I get a tumbler?

2. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Greese em up and run em thru ........ :p

3. FOUR4D4

I like the way you think

4. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I agree. Lube the outside and inside of the neck.
    I've never owned a tumbler. It's not on my must have list. Not saying that there isn't a benefit but..............
    I've loaded tens of thousands of rounds without one.

5. FOUR4D4

What is involved the best way to adjust the die, just seat it down till it touches the ram right?

6. FOUR4D4

Resized/deprimed 3 cases lubed out side and ran a small amount on the in side with a q tip. The press ran smooth as butter, its late more tomorrow

7. SWO1

full length sizer die is adjusted with "the shell holder" mounted. run the ram all the way up and adjust the die to where it just touches the shell holder. Then lower the ram and run the die another 1/4 to 1/3 turn DOWN. This is copied right off the Lee site:

Full Length Sizer
    COMPLETE INSTRUCTIONS FOR LEE RIFLE DIE SETS
    Screw the full length sizer in until it touches the shell holder.
    Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more.
    Raise the ram and tighten the lock ring finger tight.

8. FOUR4D4

The directions that came with my die said all that but didn't mention any thing about lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more. I wonder why is it because of it being a straight waal case.

9. SWO1

All my rifle die instructions say the same thing for all calibers, .223, 6mm Rem, 7mm Rem, .243, .270, .308, 30-06, and .35 Rem. But all mine are bottle neck dies, dont have any straight wall ones. Maybe another call to a Lee technician is in Order ?? I didnt look at the pistol instructions to see what they said. I set mine a while back and used the lock rings.

And Steel dies may be different ?? all mine are Carbide.

10. FOUR4D4

Your right SW I will call Lee customer service tomorrow.