Marlin Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Banned
1,241 Posts
I'm with Axxe on this one, the .458 is the more powerful of the two rounds but the recoil and recovery time is also longer. The 45-70 will give you faster follow-up shots and isn't the ammo a bit cheaper and more available?
i would have to say that 458 might be regional, because if i wanted some it would have to special ordered. now i can find 45-70 in factory ammo in some places. never compared cost difference, but just guessing, i bet the 458 is more expensive.

· Banned
1,241 Posts
i too see where you're coming from. anytime you are in the woods where there are bears, you do become the hunted in a sense. i agree, that given the rifles in my collection, pretty much anything such as deer or any other game were to wander across my crosshairs wouldn't have much of a chance. pretty much why i have given up hunting and seldom ever hunt anymore, not really sporting as you said. i do enjoy shooting and have pretty much resigned myself to high powered accurate target shooting. i do enjoy getting as much accuracy as i can from a rifle.

i think the the 45-70 in a lever action would be the rifle that would suit your needs. plenty of power from a large heavy bullet, and with a lever action, easier follow-up shots if needed. the Marlin lever actions are stout, and you could load some very good bear loads to put those big animals on the ground.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.