Marlin Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
853 Posts
Well since this is the 'Marlin Forum'.....I'm going with the 45-70 lever gun. Since you talked about down loading the .458 Win Mag to 45-70 levels, you might as well carry a 45-70.

However, you did mention you want to give them a "chance to fight back or eat me...want that thrill". I think the 45-70 is too much gun for that type of entertainment. Maybe a 30-30 would provide the challenge you seek and give the Grizzly an opportunity for some fun as well. :D

BTW...welcome to the forum.

· Registered
853 Posts
I understand what you are saying. A well practiced rifleman with a 7mm or 300mag can shoot deer practically as far as you can see them. That is why my .270 is semi retired and I have been using nothing but my older lever actions. It certainly has put the 'hunt', back in hunting for me.

If you want to get in the thick stuff and go face to face with Yogi I say more power to you. The great thing about hunting is the individual sets the limits on himself to make it more or less challenging. I was busting your chops a little about hunting bears with a 30-30, but I bet it has been done. I think stalking big bears up close and personal with a .45-70 would provide all the excitement my heart could stand. I hope you make it happen someday.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.