7mm-08 X7 rebarreling idea

Discussion in 'Other Marlin Rifles' started by axxe55, Nov 24, 2011.

1. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i have an XS7 in 7mm-08, and really enjoy this rifle. as of present, marlin only offers the heavy barreled version in 308 and 22-250 calibers. an idea i am looking at doing possibly in the future, is McGowan Barrels offers direct fit barrels for the XS7 and XL7 rifles. getting a heavy fluted barrel chambered in 7mm-08 for mine. any input and advise will be appreciated.

2. huffmanite

huffmanite New Member

I'm sure you'll be happy with a McGowen barrel.....just thought I'd share the following.

Recently bought a Shaw Savage Replacement barrel in 6.5 X 55 Swede for a Stevens 200 action that was a heavy Magnum contour. Nice barrel, price was $180 when shipping was added. This would be price for all contours available from Shaw, if I remember correctly.

From what I gather, Savage barrels are interchangeable with Marlins and etc.

Only problem I had with buying direct from Shaw was they charged my credit card when order was placed, telling me it would take 12-16 wks for delivery. Took about 20 wks to get it.

By the way, bought one of the .308 heavy barrel Marlins a few months ago. It shoots well. I wasn't happy with the only two cartridges offered by Marlin and would have preferred a 7mm-08 too.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2011

3. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

from what i have read and understand, the savage amd marlin barrels are interchangeable, and use the same barrel nut wrench. but i would like some proof of this first.

McGowan lists their barrels as replacements available in any contour they offer. my idea is to rebarrel it in a heavier fluted 7mm-08 caliber. so the only real change would be the barrel itself. McGowan seems to have a very good reputation for accurate barrels, and i am currently in the process of them barreling anothe action now.

i too wish that marlin would offer more calibers in the heavy barrel version of their rifle. i have the 308 also and am very happy with it. i will add the 22-250 version to the collection in the future at some point.

4. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

okay here is my idea on my 7mm-08, heavier 24" fluted barrel, by McGowens, a new laminated classic hunter stock from Boyd's Stocks. now any suggestions on someone who makes aftermarket triggers for the X7 series of rifles?

5. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

Does the X7 have an adjustable trigger ??

6. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

yes the X7 series have an adjustable trigger that can be adjusted down to about 3 lbs., but as this is going to be pretty much a target rifle and not used for hunting, i would like a trigger much lower than 3 lbs. i might have to see about doing a trigger job if nothing is available.

7. Big Shrek

Big Shrek Well-Known Member

I always suggest first, having a Gunsmith do a trigger job...

That being said, there are plenty of reference posts on the subject around the net ;)
    If you do your own, please take pics of each step and post 'em here...we need some good repair threads!

8. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

my idea on a trigger job would be mainly just smoothing all the contact areas and playing with spring rates a little. as this is my rifle, i would never suggest or recommend anyone to do their own trigger work unless they have the training or experiance. i tend to like light triggers on my target rifles, but as most of my rifles see more target use than hunting, this is just my personal preference, not a recomendation. are there any aftermarket triggers for the marlin X7's? so far i haven't found any yet.

9. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

Ok I might be the odd one out here. But if I was going to go to the cost and trouble to re barrel a rifle I would pick another caliber than what is available factory.

XL-7 Changed into a 35 Whelen by Dangerous Dan.
    [​IMG]

My Current build is a Savage Short action into a 358 Winchester. I was going to use a Marlin but with there manufacturing problems I chose not to do so. Plus the Stevens/Savage was on sale for $174.00 out the door.

I do not know what you hunt. But if you hand load the 358 Winchester round would be something to look into. Here is just one article. http://www.leverguns.com/articles/paco/358_wcf.htm

As for a barrel made for a Savage they may or may not just screw onto a Marlin XL/XS-7. Many times a few thousands will need to be removed from the chamber end to enable one to head space them correctly.

And yes the Marlin and Savage have the same thread and the same Nut can be used interchangeably.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2012
  10. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

jester, thanks for the info. i have wanted a heavy barreled 7mm-08 for many years as they were out of my reach and checkbook range. i bought my Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08 a couple of years ago and have fallen in love with the rifle and caliber. it's not for hunting, more for target shooting, so therefor the reason to go to a heavier and fluted barrel. this rifle gets shot more than the others, and wanted to do a mild custom rebarrel and also stock it with a nice looking laminated wood stock. just wanted a 7mm-08 that's a little different than all the rest. i really like what you have done with the savage of yours. very nice looking rifle.

11. JesterGrin_1

JesterGrin_1 Active Member

There is no wrong :). Just run with what you like and makes you happy as in the end that is all that counts.

12. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

i have to admit, the 7mm-08 is one of my favorite calibers. i can finally see the rifle i wanted many years ago coming to be. and thanks for the helpful info on the savage barrels, much appreciated. when i am finished with my marlin 7mm-08, there won't be too many like it! the custom target rifle i am having built is a 6.5mm-06 in a remington M700 action, barreled with a McGowan heavy flutted 26" barrel and threaded for a muzzle brake. i still haven't decided on the stock yet, i have it narrowed down to either a McMillan sythetic with the bedding block installed, or a very nice walnut, glass and pillar bedded. choices! scope is narrowed down to the Nightforce NXS in 12-42x56 mounted with Nightforce intregal rings and mount.

13. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

7mm-08 Update

well i just received my Boyd's stock yesterday for my savage M93r17 rimfire rifle. i was very pleased and impressed with the quality of the stock. i wanted to take a gamble with the rimfire before jumping into it with my marlin 7mm-08. the one i bought is the laminated, nutmeg in color for the savage, but i think i am going to use a different color for my marlin. here are some pictures of the new stock, and it does look better in person.

so i will be placing an order for the new stock in the next few days.

Attached Files:

14. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

New Parts Ordered for the 7mm-08

update to my Marlin XS7 7mm-08, i ordered a new barrel from McGowen's and a laminated stock in the grey color from Boyd's. now i need to order a barrel nut wrench and a set of headspace gauges from Midway or Brownell's. they said about 8-10 weeks on the barrel to get to me. stock should be here in a couple of weeks. so looking forward to putting this gun together and shooting it.

15. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

I have recently started my first rifle project. I'm putting a 25-06Rem Adams&Bennet series 3 24" on a Yugo 24/47 Mauser. I'll take all the advise I can get on this project. The barrel is short reamed for head spacing with a finish ream, and I will purchase the tools required. Any helpful heads ups for a first timer?

16. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

you will need an action wrench to fit the Mauser, a barrel vise, a 25-06 Rem. finish reamer, headspace gauges and a depth micrometer. there is a book called, "Gunsmithing Made Easy" by Bryce M. Towsley, published in 2007 by Stoeger Publishing, the same company that imports firearms and makes the Stoeger Cougar pistols. Bryce Towsley is an editor for the magazine American Rifleman. there is an entire chapter of him building 458 Winchester on a Charles Daly Mauser action using an Adams & Bennett barrel. try and find this book as he goes into much detail on how to fit the barrel to the action, using a finish reamer instead of a lathe. he explains it in great detail much better than i could. i bought the book at a Barnes and Noble bookstore a few years ago. if you have one close to you or check out Amazon.com as they seem to carry it also. it also has a lot of great information in it on doing lots to firearms.

17. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

on a side note, good luck with the rifle project. the 25-06 is a great caliber and once you shoot one, you're hooked on them. i bought my first 25-06 over twenty years ago and have had several over the years. excellent caliber.

18. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

update to my Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08, recieved the grey laminate stock yesterday from Boyd's, and it looks great. installed it last night when i got home from work, and the rifle looks totally different. i am thinking of ordering one for my Remington M700 in 204 Ruger now, the hard part is what color to go with?

i'll post some pictures later tonight of the Marlin with it's new stock installed.

19. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

Grey laminate stock for the 7mm-8 project.

here is the new Boyd's stock in the grey laminate installed on my Marlin XS7 in 7mm-08. it just changes the whole look of the rifle. i very pleased with the quality of their stocks. i am going to order another one in the nutmeg color for a Remington M700 in 204 Ruger i have. these stocks are awesome.

Attached Files:

20. axxe55

axxe55 Well-Known Member

jester, the other day i was looking through my Midway catalog and noticed they have an E.R. Shaw barrel kit for the Savage rifles. the one that caught my attention was the 22-250 in a varmint contour. has the wrench, headspace gauges, barrel nut and a stainless steel barrel for $199. i still want to do a heavy barrel 7mm-08 in stainless, but now i am thinking a rifle with two different calibers. what is your input on this? would like to hear your thoughts and suggestions.