Marlin Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Marlin 80G from either 1960 or 1961 for $90 and then Model 60 from 1987, so long barrel, long may tube and last shot hold open for $75. Stripped both stocks and started cleaning....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Yuck. Looks like it was never cleaned. Looking forward to the finished product and then the range report.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
My goodness! Would it even fire! Some beautiful grain in those stocks.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A few more coats of stain and painted the receiver.

·
Premium Member
2,858 Posts
Great job on the stocks. Am sure the metal will come out fine also. I'll give ya your money back on the 80 ...... :D

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Great job on the stocks. Am sure the metal will come out fine also. I'll give ya your money back on the 80 ...... :D
I'm hoping the 80G is as accurate as my 25s, I want it to be my main bolt gun, plus the boys have claimed the 25s.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Great looking stocks for sure. The 60 sure shows you how dirty 22's can get. It look just like the one my Grandson and I have been working on, we just received the new hammer for it. We are putting it back together next weekend.

·
Banned
5,718 Posts
Good job on the refinishing so far Matt...

I own a Model 80C from 1960 and a Glenfield Model 60 from 1980.

·
Registered
488 Posts
MattNH, really like the way the stocks are turning out! Nice job! What did you use to strip the old finish off?

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
MattNH, really like the way the stocks are turning out! Nice job! What did you use to strip the old finish off?
Citris strip and a plastic scrapper.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Snow day today, another coat of stain on the stocks, no new pics though.

Cleaned up the trigger guard and smoothed out the shoe of the Model 60 trigger with a dremel and re-blued.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
More coats of Tung Oil on the stocks. Final paint on the receiver. Reassembled the cleaned action and trigger.

I need to order the Williams fiber optic dovetail barrel mount set for the 60. I'm waiting on a Model 100 style trigger guard for the 80G. I'm happy with the 60 stock, I think a few more coats on the 80G.

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
That's Awesome

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
aluminum

What are you using for paint?
Purchased at Home Depot. Specifically mentions working on aluminium on the label.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts