Marlin Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up a Marlin 80G from either 1960 or 1961 for $90 and then Model 60 from 1987, so long barrel, long may tube and last shot hold open for $75. Stripped both stocks and started cleaning....

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A few more coats of stain and painted the receiver.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great job on the stocks. Am sure the metal will come out fine also. I'll give ya your money back on the 80 ...... :D
I'm hoping the 80G is as accurate as my 25s, I want it to be my main bolt gun, plus the boys have claimed the 25s.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
MattNH, really like the way the stocks are turning out! Nice job! What did you use to strip the old finish off?
Citris strip and a plastic scrapper.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Snow day today, another coat of stain on the stocks, no new pics though.

Cleaned up the trigger guard and smoothed out the shoe of the Model 60 trigger with a dremel and re-blued.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
More coats of Tung Oil on the stocks. Final paint on the receiver. Reassembled the cleaned action and trigger.

I need to order the Williams fiber optic dovetail barrel mount set for the 60. I'm waiting on a Model 100 style trigger guard for the 80G. I'm happy with the 60 stock, I think a few more coats on the 80G.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
aluminum

What are you using for paint?
Purchased at Home Depot. Specifically mentions working on aluminium on the label.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Crap, the last shot hold open lever is broken. It didn't work when I got it, but it was so dirty and the spring was off. I just put it back in the receiver and still didn't work, had to take a different 60 apart to compare.

Midway is out, Brownells is too expensive. Found one on eBay, buy it now with shipping $9.45. My $75 gun is now an $85 gun, then up to $110 because I also ordered the Williams 70742 fiber optic sight set. Oh well.

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Another snow day today, so I put the 80G back together. I added sling swivels and I put the original trigger guard back on, but I have a Marlin 100 style on order form Numerich, just hasn't shipped yet.

Originally:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Now:

·
Registered
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
The replacement last shot hold open lever arrived along with the Williams fiber optic sight set, so the 60 is back together.

There must be 2 styles of lsho levers, my broken one was held on with an E clip where it passed through the side plate. The post of the one I received is shorter where it goes through the side plate. It's in there, but not held in place with the clip. I had to trim the ejector/lifter spring a bit to stop it from rubbing on the lsho lever. It functions fine so I'll leave it.

Original, wasn't in bad shape outside, but filthy inside.

After, Minwax Gunstock stain and Tung Oil finish. Not much different in the pics but looks really nice in person. The grain is pretty nice on this pedestrian Birch stock.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.