99 M1 parts

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by gunman5646, Feb 27, 2016.

1. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

Just acquired a Model 99 M1 . It's in fair shape, but missing a few parts. The front barrel band and swivel were available from Numrich, but where can I get an original rear sight? I don't believe this rifle was fired much, but the dings on the stock made required refinishing.
    When I first saw it in the LGS, it called to me, to save it, so here I am.:)

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Hi and welcome. The rear sights on the 99M1 and 989M2 are pretty hard to come by. Most people removed them for a scope and once separated, rarely come back together. The best bet will be ebay and be prepared to pay.

I was lucky enough to find mine with the rear sight. And we like pictures here so lets see the 99M1

3. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

I kinda thought it was something like that. I did purchase a Williams peep that fits a 3/8" dovetail, but I will check out E-bay. Currently the rifle is all apart, but I'll put up some pics. I should have done a before and after. The stock is in the process of sanding. Thanks for the help!

4. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

If I ever find a 99M1 or a 989M2 without the rear sight I will definitely mount tech sights on it. Typically on these rifles the front sight was a band that has a set screw so I would need to drill and tap for the tech sight front, but so worth it

Link to Tech Sights for Marlin

5. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

I'll add a pic

[​IMG]

6. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

I checked out the tech sights web site. They make the 99 look even more like an M1 carbine than the original Marlin version. I ordered a set and will send pics when I finish this project. Thanks for all the help guys.

7. gunman5646

gunman5646 Member

Finally finished

I have finally finished the Model 99 M1. I replaced the sights with a set of TSM200's from Tech sights, stripped the stock and steam ironed the dents, four coats of True oil, replaced barrel band, and added a Marlin brand sling. I used 0000 steel wool to give it a GI style matte finish. I believe it looks more like an M1 carbine than it did originally.
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

8. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

You did a great job on it! Very nice.

9. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member