A "honking" extravaganza !

Discussion in 'General Chit-Chat' started by Bucky, Apr 10, 2015.

1. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

This week, just gone I went up the High Country hunting

After years of hunting I was privy to an exceptional experience, on my latest trip this week.

Most things were wet, by the second day up there due to rain, low cloud, or fog, and we could not really get a decent fire happening, at night to warm up.

So its into the mighty Camper Trailer, rug up with 5 or 6 layers of clothes, and just "talking shit" till about 11:30pm, and planning the next day's hunting with my buddy, also an experienced hunter.

About 2:30am we were woken by a "honking deer".
    Cheeky thing, I thought........better get the rifle and have a look, but the fog was that thick, visibility, (with torch) was about 30 yards.
    It was not worth getting the rifle out.

Then for the next 1/2 hr that deer was honking heaps, and I figured it was being answered by another honking deer.
    One of them was being guided to safety, or maybe both lost.

So I joined in and got answered, then I howled like a dog, and got answered. Then I just laid back and soaked up this experienced.
    "Kenty" my mate, was also amazed by the amount of honking that was going on.

At one stage there was 3 - 4 honks a minute, sometimes more.
    I had lost count just how many but there was absolute heaps.

Man, those deer were going off.

Am home now, with no Bambi, but I recon most people would never get honked at that much, in a lifetime.

Cheers
    Bucky

2. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

Sounds like a great time and one of those hunting stories to tell for a long time.

I got into a blowing battle with a whitetail while turkey hunting one time. Lasted maybe 10 minutes, but was really cool.

3. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

Then you woke up in the morning after the fog lifted and found the highway was just over the hill and there were about a dozen cars sitting there on sides of the highway. LOL

4. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

No highways where I was

5. straightshooter

straightshooter Well-Known Member

No sound recording..........it prolly didn't happen. LOL
    Is your tush sore yet from me kicking it?
    Gotta yank your chain now and again if only to get your attention.
    Really though I bet it was quite awesome. If you had woke up with a set of antlers sticking through your camper door you prolly would have wished you didn't sound so appealing that night.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
  6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

When you wake up in the middle of the night, the last thing you think of is, get the I-Phone out.
    And for Safety reasons, the rifles are locked up in the vehicle....Grrrrrrrrrr !

Not any more

7. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

When I was 15, I was ground hunting for whitetails and had one walk up on me about an hour before first light in heavy fog. We didn't see each other but he pawed the ground and made noises that I had never heard before. Whole show lasted about 15 minutes and when dawn came, I went over to where I thought the noise came from and it looked like the deer had gotten aggravated that I blocked his path. About scared me witless!