A question I couldn`t answer

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by oldbrass, Oct 1, 2013.

1. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I was talking to a soon to be reloader, I said you gotta be patient and see what your gun likes..I got a deer in the headlight look...He saked "if you load your ammo with the same bullet and powder charge why wouldn`t your gun shoot them all the same" I said all guns are different and like different loads. Again he asked "but if everythings the same why wouldn`t they be accurate" ? I kinda got stumped and said thats just the way it is...Someone help me out here
  2. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

3. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I don't think you can approach reloading with out understanding the interaction with the gun(s) the ammo will be shot in.

This is a long and indepth discussion......most don't want to hear it or care to understand it....it fascinates me. Short answer is " Everything is NOT the same " Matter of fact " Nothing is the same" Not guns, ammo (factory or reloaded) or the shooter from shot to shot.

Guns have many components, as does a loaded round of ammo. And as we all know the shooter (us). All these when brought into play with the simple act of squeezing the trigger produces a wide array of results.

Amazing that the shortest, simplest question...WHY....requires the longest, complex answer.....:p
  4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

The rifling is different ask any ballestic expert that has watched a episode of CSI. Each barrel has been bored differently wither it be by a broach with a new bit or old.
  5. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Exactly,that's why they can look at the rifling marks on bullets and can match them to the gun. It also has to do with twist and bullet design and weight.
  6. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

That's where I was going to go too.
  7. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Everybody is an expert in their own mind' :rolleyes:
  8. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Buy some manuals...

Buy some manuals; pick 1 load. buy the components and make up enough loads to qualify the results; If you like the results, keep that recipe. If not, pick another load. Load a number of shells, shoot em up and take notes again. If you see improvements keep improving. If not, go back to square one. It depends on the amount of perfection you require.

Nothin is finite when choosiing a load because of all the variables. The only specific is that you keep it safe and as simple as posssible. Change one component characteristic at a time. ie charge weight. or bullet weight or case brand, etc. Multiple changes confuse your findings because if there is a change in performance you will not know what change made the difference.

The comment that everyone is an expert in his/her own mind may be true, but even a qualified expert will probably say...it is all easy, but it still takes experimentation to find your best load. And then after all that, the weather may change.
  9. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

An 'expert ' is a man 50 miles from home with a briefcase!!! Lol