Adding scope to 1951 Model 39A

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by rs917, Aug 10, 2015.

1. rs917

rs917 Member

I've got a 1951 Model 39A that I'd like to put a scope on. You may have seen the rifle before in another thread.

I'd like to put a small scope on it but will need to tap the receiver. My two questions are...

1. What scope would I use? Just looking for something cheap (but reliable, not the junk in plastic at Walmart) but quality.

2. Would getting the receiver tapped hurt resale value? Are there alternatives?

2. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Can't help with question #2.
    However, I have had good success with BSA scopes. Also have heard good reviews on Center Point Optics. I have a Center Point that has the illuminated reticle, which (in my opinion) adds unwanted weight. Both are priced reasonably and have a 1" tube. Don't know what you mean by "small" but 3/4" scopes leave a lot to be desired.

3. MattNH

MattNH Well-Known Member

A little late for me to reply...

1. I have pretty good luck with the Simmons 22 Mag scopes. 3-9x and 4x fixed versions in silver and matte black. Available on Amazon.

2. Unless this particular rifle is absolutely pristine, not a mark on it, has the original box, and would be of interest to a collector who will never shoot it, drilling and tapping will impact resale. However, if it is a shooter and you plan on using it, drill and tap away, the resale value will not be significantly impacted.

An alternate is a receiver mounted peep sight. You can get various sized apertures for different shooting conditions. A vintage Lyman would be a good choice, but can be pricey. Williams makes current ones of aluminium construction. I have a Williams peep sight on a Glenfied 25.
  4. jkingrph

jkingrph Member

Good luck finding a vintage Lyman 66, in steel. They still make them in aluminum though, I just ordered one for a 1957 vintage Mountie I have coming.
  5. rs917

rs917 Member

I'm thinking I'll leave the rifle be and get a bolt gun that can be my scoped/suppressed critter rifle.
  6. jbaker30

jbaker30 Active Member

It's already taped for a tang peep sight. I put a marbles tang peep on my 1951 39a and it's deadly out to 100-120yds, and it will add to the value of the rifle (very nostalgic).
  7. Yellowdog762

Yellowdog762 New Member

You might want to look at Skinner Sights for your 39A. They are so accurate though, it's a shame NOT to shoot them with a scope, or at least quality sights of some kind.