Marlin Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1951 Model 39A that I'd like to put a scope on. You may have seen the rifle before in another thread.

I'd like to put a small scope on it but will need to tap the receiver. My two questions are...

1. What scope would I use? Just looking for something cheap (but reliable, not the junk in plastic at Walmart) but quality.

2. Would getting the receiver tapped hurt resale value? Are there alternatives?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Can't help with question #2.
However, I have had good success with BSA scopes. Also have heard good reviews on Center Point Optics. I have a Center Point that has the illuminated reticle, which (in my opinion) adds unwanted weight. Both are priced reasonably and have a 1" tube. Don't know what you mean by "small" but 3/4" scopes leave a lot to be desired.

·
Registered
582 Posts
A little late for me to reply...

1. I have pretty good luck with the Simmons 22 Mag scopes. 3-9x and 4x fixed versions in silver and matte black. Available on Amazon.

2. Unless this particular rifle is absolutely pristine, not a mark on it, has the original box, and would be of interest to a collector who will never shoot it, drilling and tapping will impact resale. However, if it is a shooter and you plan on using it, drill and tap away, the resale value will not be significantly impacted.

An alternate is a receiver mounted peep sight. You can get various sized apertures for different shooting conditions. A vintage Lyman would be a good choice, but can be pricey. Williams makes current ones of aluminium construction. I have a Williams peep sight on a Glenfied 25.

·
Registered
8 Posts
A little late for me to reply...

1. I have pretty good luck with the Simmons 22 Mag scopes. 3-9x and 4x fixed versions in silver and matte black. Available on Amazon.

2. Unless this particular rifle is absolutely pristine, not a mark on it, has the original box, and would be of interest to a collector who will never shoot it, drilling and tapping will impact resale. However, if it is a shooter and you plan on using it, drill and tap away, the resale value will not be significantly impacted.

An alternate is a receiver mounted peep sight. You can get various sized apertures for different shooting conditions. A vintage Lyman would be a good choice, but can be pricey. Williams makes current ones of aluminium construction. I have a Williams peep sight on a Glenfied 25.
Good luck finding a vintage Lyman 66, in steel. They still make them in aluminum though, I just ordered one for a 1957 vintage Mountie I have coming.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks.

I'm thinking I'll leave the rifle be and get a bolt gun that can be my scoped/suppressed critter rifle.

·
Registered
38 Posts
It's already taped for a tang peep sight. I put a marbles tang peep on my 1951 39a and it's deadly out to 100-120yds, and it will add to the value of the rifle (very nostalgic).

·
Registered
1 Posts
39a

You might want to look at Skinner Sights for your 39A. They are so accurate though, it's a shame NOT to shoot them with a scope, or at least quality sights of some kind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts