Marlin Forums banner
1 - 9 of 17 Posts

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have an gun cabinet im using for ammo storage. With the boxes on the bottom collapsing Im going to put in a few shelves.2x10 might be a bit of an overkill the lumber expert at home depot suggest to use solid wood.

I'm thinking I should have just went with my original plan of using 3/4 plywood. The expert said solid wood would be more sturdy.

Attachments

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would agree with the Home Depot guy, that solid wood would be better it will be sturdier and support more weight. The only way I would go with the Plywood is to use extra supports/bracing and thicker plywood like double 1/2" or double 3/4" with extra brackets for support. If you are building shelves out of wood then go with the solid wood, but if you are putting shelves in a Metal Gun cabinet you can still go with the solid wood (like was recommended) or use the plywood. Which ever way you go just make sure you have enough bracing to support the weight you expect the shelves will be holding. Just my $0.02 !
The shelves are only 10"x17" if they were 10x 36 or something like that then I would have to agree

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I bought some 3/4" plywood today..I just love the smell of fresh cut lumber..I guess I'm just weird that way
>
>
>

>
>

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
As far as reloading bench you don't need a lot of space people have done it with little space

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's how I got my lumber for the work bench in my shed.You have to time it right they sell that out quickly

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
<
<

I'm not a professional. No I didn't use the rake
>
>
>

Attachments

· Banned
7,853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
How did the Marlin box get in the picture?
>
>

Attachments

1 - 9 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.