Another new guy from GA

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by cobalt327, Nov 21, 2013.

1. cobalt327

cobalt327 New Member

Joined the site after doing some research on the Model 60 .22 autoloader, a gun I am going to purchase just as soon as one "speaks" to me. I now have six .22 rimfire rifles and handguns (along w/various centerfire pistols and rifles and a BP rifle) but recently I find myself reaching for the rimfire guns more and more, what w/the ammo prices going stupid expensive of late.

That's just fine w/me, though. After having learned the basic fundamentals of safety, sighting and cleaning, etc. from my Dad at age 6 with a Daisy Cub (getting that BB gun at Christmas of 1959 and later getting my first bicycle are the two biggest thrills of my early childhood, bar none), I was given the privilege of shooting his Winchester Model 61 .22 pump under his supervision- a gun I still own and shoot regularly to this day. Those are some of my fondest memories.

I would like to find a 22" barreled, 18 shot version w/the last shot bolt hold open feature, but that may be asking a lot. I'm not against buying one new, but at this stage I'm just not knowledgeable enough yet to know if I'd be giving up too much (or any) quality or features by not getting an earlier model in very good shape. I also want to learn more about the Glenfield Marlin models- I have nothing against them per se as long as they're on par w/the Marlin as far as accuracy and durability goes. (I have a Western Field Model 828[FONT=&quot][/FONT] and it shoots just fine and doesn't seem to know it's not a Mossberg Model 353. lol)

Sorry this was so long! I'll end by saying I'm looking forward to enjoying my stay here.

Thanks, Mark

2. lingr

lingr Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you here.

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

Welcome to the Marlin Forum. Glad to have you join us.
    Pretty friendly group around here.
    I have a Mod. 60 SS that was made in 2006. It holds 15 rounds. Not sure of the barrel length (I believe it's 19").
    http://www.marlinfirearms.com/Firearms/SelfLoading/60SS.asp
    It is a fine rifle and has never given me any problems. I'm certain that one will "speak" to you soon.
    If I were to buy another Marlin 22, I'd like for it to be the Mod. 99-M1 carbine but that's just me and they are hard to find at a good price.
    Feel free to join in the fun.

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Moderator Moderator

Welcome to the forum and model 60 club :)

5. Gumpy

Gumpy AKA Richard Prestage

Welcome to de forum, Mon!!
    I'm sorry I'm late welcoming you.

6. glock26USMC

glock26USMC Well-Known Member Supporting

Welcome to the community !

7. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard Mate

From "down under"

8. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

welcome from the left coast...How hard is it to find .22 ammo out there, Its almost extinct out here still

9. cobalt327

cobalt327 New Member

Hi, and thanks to all for the welcome!

.22 ammo here is sketchy still. Walmart gets it in on occasion and it's gone before noon. When I was actively looking I'd be there at 7 am each morning until it arrives. Here it can take two weeks straight (or more, depending) before scoring.

Right now I'm trying to get some more CCI "Quiet .22"- I've seen it only once since mid June! Only once for CCI CB shorts, too (actually prefer longs, but I took them anyway).

The LGS are all still gouging- 50 LR in a baggie costs $6.42...

Mark

10. defass21

defass21 Member

.22 cal lr winchester 500rd bricks for $25 here in bama. Still alittle on the scarce side but my wife works at bass pro shops so she has been a lifesaver on gettin ammo