Marlin Forums banner
1 - 3 of 15 Posts

· Registered
560 Posts
No, but I re-utilize 223 Rem Brass for 5.56:p I bought 2300 Mil Brass. It was P.I.T.A. to hand prep and de-crimp the pockets, etc. Worth it now! The home-grown .223/5.56 are my 'in case of emergency stash' of fodder. Multi-purpose, but loaded just a tad shy of full NATO standards & high pressures to help offset the short M4 barrel length. Accurate enough for intended purposes, but not bragging rights on paper. No signs of case problems with the 'civilian' brass versus the MHS Mil Brass that is mostly Win or LC. Annealing is a pain...but it sure seems to make a difference. I've got one batch of brass that's seen 6 reloading cycles with the full Monty loads of TAC & X-terminator pushing both the 60gr HP and 65gr SPs. And they've been heated, re=sized with a little trimming (not much stretch after the multiple firings) & re-primed. I did have a few that went to scrap due to neck wall being too thin for my comfort, but not many. Prepping the diminutive cases is a bit tedious, but I've got time to do all it takes to keep the brass functioning through the press and of course, the firing sequence to recovery.

Ramshot listed the high-pressure loads after a lot of whining from users of TAC & X-terminator since all they listed were .223 tables. I'd bet Sierra's Big Green Book probably lists them as well for Ramshot and other MFGs propellants. The suit-wary lawyers are the ones that keep reloader pubs safely in the black when in fact certain calibers and primer/powder/bullet can be safely loaded to higher velocities. I found that out in chatting with Western Powder’s Chief Ballistician for a hot load in my slightly short-throated XL.

The 5.56 is the ONLY caliber I load that's at the envelope. I've found that the sweet spot recipe is usually on the mid to lower side of the tables. Most will probably agree their best 'work' comes from backing off, being identified by batch loads of .2 to .4 grs difference to find and then refine results to arrive at Nirvana. Looks like SW01 spelled out his work, above. The fire forming for a specific bolt gun or single shot and neck sizing is in the Bench Shooters credo. I just don't care about it with M4 fodder, even though my loads seem to print 'minute of game animal', anywho. Range fun, taking a poke at a varmint and SHTF intended cartridges. Right now…no range work…too darned much $$$, because AR owner know they can dump a mag and not even realize it!

Best wishes in your endeavor to create your perfect round for the .223 Remy!

P.S. I think SW01’s ¼ group from an affordable rifle shows what can be achieved with a Marlin. KUDOs Sir!

· Registered
560 Posts
@ SW01 I figure Sierra and others don't publish the +P or +P+ type recipes because of litigation issues I'm sure. What QCs does the average Joe have to proof them? He doesn't. Sometimes it seems odd that certain combos will scream and stay well below pressure whereas some powders & boolit combos can cause catastrophic failure...I imagine especially so in some of the older wheel guns. Oh...and the HOT '06 load...after turning about 4 loose...I pulled the boolitz on the others and said the hell with speed. The cases were hot enough to light a cigar...my fingers sure didn't approve of removing them off the bench right after ejection. Ouch!

I ain't pushing beyond posted advisories. I'm to B-U-T-full to disfigure my ugly old mug:D I still ain't secured a Chrony, but I'd bet my "one-hole load" with the 7mm-08 isn't getting past 2500fps...if that. It goes where the tubes pointed when you touch it off. That's what counts...so I been told ;)

Again...can't wait to see your group when you finally tweak the XV's rounds and show the world just how small a hole 3-5 rounds will make in the downrange.

· Registered
560 Posts
It's the quest for that 'perfect' combo of case, primer, propellant and projectile that makes the bench & varmint shooters yearn for their on actualization. Go get 'er! I'll stick with 1-2moa loads for most purposes and not worry if they're not less than a minute, but don't mind some of my best recipe & those results:D I've found a couple and that in itself without too much time and expense was quite rewarding. May your goals of the needle's eye be realized.

1 - 3 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.