Marlin Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a few Swedish Mausers that I really like. Here is one and I'll post some others in the days ahead. Hope Y'all like 'em:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,965 Posts
Beautiful furniture on that rifle. And, yes, I like Swedes. I once owned a 6.5 Swede Carbine. Great shoot'n rifle and an ideal caliber. Don't currently own one and I believe that they are not easy to find.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, greyhawk50. Here's a 1916 Swedish Carbine (M94/14) that I have, and yes, they are hard to find where Bubba hasn't gotten hold of them...

Attachments

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
I've never met a Mauser I didn't like!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Amen to that, Gumpy!

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Those are beautiful rifles, I hear they`re tough as nails...I really like the quality timber on those

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Beautiful Swedes there Mauser! I particularly like the carbine. I remember years ago when the Woolworths in my neighborhood was selling nice all-matching Swede rifles for $70. Looking back, I should have bought a crate!

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey, 28Shooter. Yes, it is hard to believe that the carbines used to sell for about $30 if you go back a ways. Now, they routinely sell for about $700 or more for a nice all-matching example. I got addicted to the Swedes, especially the carbines, shortly after I started to collect firearms. Man, wish I could revisit those days price-wise.

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Unfortunately for me, the only Swede I have left is a "bubba'd" one I picked up for a possible project gun. The stock's been cut down; the barrel's been cut and should be recrowned; it has no sights - front gone with the bobbing, rear just gone; still has the straight bolt; a lot of the original finish; and it was never drilled and tapped for a scope. The said part is everything matches! I took it to the range for a test fire and it still goes bang and everything works properly. I'm just not sure it's worth the cost of turning it into a hunting rifle.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sounds like an M96 that someone got "happy" with it and cut it down. You can pick up front and rear sight parts fairly reasonably so I would probably try to put into shape for a hunting rifle if the stock is workable. The Swede ammo is a great round.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Unfortunately for me, the only Swede I have left is a "bubba'd" one I picked up for a possible project gun. The stock's been cut down; the barrel's been cut and should be recrowned; it has no sights - front gone with the bobbing, rear just gone; still has the straight bolt; a lot of the original finish; and it was never drilled and tapped for a scope. The said part is everything matches! I took it to the range for a test fire and it still goes bang and everything works properly. I'm just not sure it's worth the cost of turning it into a hunting rifle.
I have a Turkish Mauser that I put together with spare parts that I'm guilty of 'Bubbaing'! I would not be found guilty of ruining any weapon that was all original. Anyway, I scoped it, modified the bolt to clear the scope, and shortened the barrel (I did recrown it). Its now my favorite deer rifle for NE Alabama deer hunting conditions.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks straighshooter! The quality of workmanship and materials used on these old rifles really speak to me. Gumpy, re-purposing spare parts and coming up with a useful rifle is great IMHO. I just cringe when folks take an all-matching war horse and "make it better" destroying any collector value in the process. I guess I'm more of a collector than a shooter but that is what make the world go round.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
Amen MH. I have a matching numbers Steyer/Manlicher I've been working on. The only thing I can't get to work is the ejector. I think the 'bump' on the bolt is worn down and needs built up, but I don't know how much.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wish I knew more about them..... I would offer some help if I did.

·
AKA Richard Prestage
3,538 Posts
I just need to find a good bolt and take some measurements. Then a lot of handwork!

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Yes. Chocolate covered cherries are my favorite.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
hombre, not sure I follow your last post....

1 - 20 of 30 Posts