Marlin Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A guy at the Hi Point forum posted some test results into wet newspaper. He says it replicates tissue fairly well, and it got my attention as I have no chronograph. I have a 357 bear load I developed for defense and hunting, and decided to save my papers for a test. It uses a 180gr Missouri Bullet Co LRNFP over Blue Dot. Fired from my 94C @75 yards it penetrated 19" of wet newspaper plus the plastic side of the tub, and I recovered the slug. Two others went through 17" and exited the tub. The recovered bullet was only slightly deformed and weighted 177gr. I was encouraged with the loads performance.

Anyone know if this is a decent representation of what I can expect using the load for deer and black bear?

·
Registered
254 Posts
@duster I think it was Rocky Mountain Cartirdge who had a pretty extensive report on there stuff using wet newspaper. I use D.C. Telephone books. Still have a mess of never used ones still shrinked wrapped. I had posted results from these test 5 or 6 years ago at CasCity. Loading on Black Powder and slower burning powders. Weapons included a 94c

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm glad I did it. I developed this load when Buffalo Bore's 180gr 357 about ruined my SAA. I'm sure it's a great load, but way to much for that gun. I assumed my load would work for bear defense, but now I have evidence.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the recipe Shooter, it's simpler than I thought.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts