Are bolt actions the next victim??

Discussion in 'General Marlin Discussion' started by Hyphenated, Aug 29, 2012.

1. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

For real. Go figure. Ohio doesn't allow high power rifles for deer hunting but they are legal for varmints of every type, with any caliber. I could use my 30-30 for wild bore if we had enough to hunt. We have a just a few.
    They allow muzzle loaders 38 caliber and larger of any type as well as allowing hand guns of 357 or larger w/ straight wall case as long as it has a 5" barrel. Pistols are not limited by capacity. You could even hunt with a high cap 45 acp as long as it has the 5" barrel. Next year may allow rifles of the same straight wall pistol calibers??

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  2. sgtcowboyusmc

sgtcowboyusmc Active Member

I do not think the Bolt action will disappear but I do see it loosing some of it's dominance but it will remain the most dominant at least in my lifetime. But with new technology the auto's are getting more and more accurate! I know those who hate Auto's and feel "Real Riflemen" use a Bolt Action. Me I don't care if it has a Bolt, Lever or Semi-auto as long as it is accurate! I own more Semi-auto's than I do Bolt guns Both Shotguns and Rifles! So to answer your question No the Bolt will not be replaced but it will have stiff competition from accurate Semi-autos.

3. txgunner

txgunner New Member

I dont think that bolt guns will ever be completley replaced.I own several ar15's but I have say my favorite rifle is my first center fire rifle,my marlin 336.

4. borgranta

borgranta New Member

the bolt action will remain but maybe become cheaper

The bolt action will remain but may end up cheaper and as a result would cause demand to rise at the cheaper price.

5. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum txgunner !!

6. SHOOTER13

SHOOTER13 RETIRED MODERATOR Lifetime Supporting

Welcome to the Marlin Firearms Forum borgranta !!

7. DunRanull

DunRanull Member

Bolt actions are already obsolescent but hardly obsolete. Look at what Walmart sells.. lesser expensive rifles.. many bolts with scopes and "good to go" with a few sight in rounds. All will work well for deer hunting and even self/home defense guns. The only bolt guns I have are certain surplus firearms from the 1900-45 era. I sure like em and enjoy shooting them but I have learned that they are pretty chunky and "luggy". -Then again so am I-. My hunting rifles are both lever guns and suit me fine- a BLR .308 and a Marlin .30-30. My "other guns" are the usual mix of black rifles, semi-ass.weapons and my pride- the M1A and FAL. BOTH are RIFLES and one knows it when hefting them- more so when touching off a round down range, pretty accurate too.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2012
  8. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

All military firearms ( pre 1960 )are made that way for a purpose. They are a weapon un-to themselves without ammo. With or without a fixed bayonet I still have bruises from hand to hand combat classes. Vertical butt strokes, slashes and thrusts left their marks. Of course the tactics have changed the last few years with lighter weapons that feature higher rates of fire and increased magizine capicity. Now they throw lead instead of bodies in assault waves.

9. borgranta

borgranta New Member

a bolt action 50 bmg is not obsolete

Bolt actions will never die because as far as I know they do not have failures to feed like semi autos do. snipers for military and police should not have to fight with failure to feed issues when lives are on the line.
    Bolt actions are cheaper than semi autos with few exceptions and there are certain specialty calibers that might not be available in semi auto for any number of reasons.

10. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Bolt actions will never die as long as we have cape buffalo, elephants, lions, Africa, and white men with dreams.

11. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

There is just something ugly and un-normal looking about a hunter orange dressed hunter carrying a camo covered or black military type gun.

12. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Not all...can't find the pics, but an a Navy retiree/life-long friend has a beautiful, hand fit American Walnut stock and foream that an friend makes to dress-up a MSR on a DPMS 20in tube that doesn't look out of place other than the A frame front sight. Tried to find the pics...but I think they're in the other computer that a trojan trashed. I'll see if he's got them on file and have him send them again. The polished wood really is a game changer.

13. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

hombre, I got the pics from my buddy. The young lady holding the rifle could be his niece from FL that visited him in NM or it may be another special young woman. Anywho, his niece had never shot a weapon before but after she returned home, she made her parents buy her a 10/22. She's now has become an Appleseed Certified Rifleman. Ain't life wonderful...at least for a little while longer in OUR AMERICA!

Okay...see it this example doesn't make you feel at least a little more tolerant to tote with blaze orange. I tried ;)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 29, 2012
  14. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Spoon, I am just an old schooler. I have fired those military type guns. I cant say I wont ever get one but I will always prefer a sporting gun rather than military.

15. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

If mine eyes worked like they did when I was younger...I'd still be carrying the 03-A3. That old military rifle has done more than it's fair share of killing deer, yotes, jacks and other critters. I fuuly understand where you're coming from. The XL '06 gets the call with the MSR for back-up should a herd of baldies suddenly appear then I should fill my 3 antlerless tags boom, boom, boom and get to the real work of harvesting wild meat!

16. duster066

duster066 Well-Known Member Supporting

My kids are all grown now and their young adult friends hang out and shoot with us. My revolvers and lever guns are big hits with them. I've noticed this with other young shooters at the range. They like them because they are different and a blast to shoot. I've also noticed this generation of young people don't have their heads buried in sand. Many of them are informed and want to know their history. One of them just scored a Super Black Hawk in 44mag 7.5" just like mine.;) Several are buying Mosins too.

17. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Well maybe BHO actually did some good:
    1- While he distressed and depressed the general economy he REALLY simulated the firearms and shooting sports industries.
    2- His talk and actions increased the number of "registered" gun owners from around the 80 million mark to a little of 100 million.
    3- He caused a lot of those with their heads in the sands to come up and gasp at what a mess we've let ourselves into.
    4- Although he still refuses to expose much of anything about his life...he's helped to expose a lot of corruption by happenstance.
    5- He's given me reason to get my less than stellar butt out of bed every morning and have something worthwhile that eats too much of my time!

18. copierfixer

copierfixer Member

bolt guns

I am partial to my collection of levers, both Marlin as well as a couple if Winchesters. That being said, I also like my lone AR, a lefty by Stag. My bolt guns get almost as much use as the levers, but the leverguns are just fun to shoot. Just my .02.

19. Sparks55

Sparks55 Member

IMG-20121025-00494 (1).jpg I just bought a 30-30 Glenfield and think that for hunting and general sports the bolt action and lever action rifles will always be around. Thy're cheaper than semi-autos both with ammo and the rifles themselves. You don't really need thirty rounds when hunting or target practicing. Heck, at almost a dollar a round who can afford all that?

20. oldbrass

oldbrass Well-Known Member

I`m going to jump in here..There`s a lot of AR style rifles out there, they are good rifles for there intended purpose, but then all firearms have an intended purpose. Most AR owners that "I" know got one for the next revolution or were afraid of new gun legislation..Very few decicded they wanted to spend $200 a day at the rifle range..If I had a reason to own an AR I would definately have one, I think that anyone that wants one should get one..I did have a need for one when I was in the army and use it I did..I`m not in the army anymore. My hats off to the M16 and the M4 carbine, they brought me back home in one piece. If the next revolution comes or Zombies attack I`m just going to have to get by with a shotgun and a 30-30....