Marlin Forums banner

BIG Veto over ride in Missouri !!

2K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  SWO1 
#1 ·
September 11, 2014

Senate Bill 656 received final approval from the Missouri House of Representatives, and the veto by Governor Jay Nixon (D) was overridden. Things started late yesterday when the state Senate took up SB 656 during the veto override session and approved it by a 23 to 8 vote. The House approved this measure by a 117 to 39 vote, with supporters from both sides of the aisle.

As you might recall from an earlier ILA alert, Governor Nixon vetoed SB 656 and stated:

“Arming teachers will not make our schools safer,” Governor Nixon said. “I have supported and will continue to support the use of duly authorized law enforcement officers employed as school resource officers, but I cannot condone putting firearms in the hands of educators who should be focused on teaching our kids.”

Sponsored by state Senator Will Kraus (R-8) and handled in the House by state Representative Kevin Elmer (R-139), SB 656 addresses the following issues:

Allows the open carrying of firearms in all localities with a carry permit. Some localities currently have ordinances that ban open carrying of firearms, even by those with a valid carry permit.

Allows a school district to designate a teacher or administrator to qualify as a school protection officer and carry a firearm on school property with the proper training. Current law already allows a school district to allow those with a concealed carry permit to carry a firearm on school property – this would allow school personnel to undergo extensive police training.

States that no law shall require health care professionals to inquire about a patient’s ownership or possession of firearms and prohibits the documentation of such information into a database.

Reduces the age from 21 to 19 for those wishing to apply for a concealed carry permit.

Allows someone to qualify for a concealed carry permit using a revolver or semi-automatic pistol, rather than having to qualify with each firearm.

Requires one instructor for every forty people for the classroom portion of a firearms safety training course. Current law allows only forty people per classroom regardless of the number of instructors present.

Specifies that no public housing authority shall prohibit a lessee or a member of the lessee’s immediate household or guest from personally possessing firearms within an individual residence, common areas, or from carrying or transporting firearms to and from such residence in a manner allowed by law.

SB 656 will take effect thirty days after the veto session.

"My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost."

See less See more
#4 ·
God Bless You Folks in Missouri! Here in Maryland we have become what is essentially a one-party state and that party (read anti-gun-left-wing-liberal Democrat) has gerrymandered our election districts to the point that they have made it virtually impossible for a conservative (or moderate), pro-gun Republican to get elected to our state legislature or the US Congress (save for Andy Harris in the 1st District). If you want a laugh, go on line and look up the Maryland 3rd Congressional District (where I live) and you'll see what is likely the most flagrant example of gerrymandering ever in this country.

#6 ·
Another law comming to Legal Definention. Prop. B, which as approved by the Voters states that, The Right to Bear Arms is an Inalliable (sp) right under the 2nd. Now they are discussing does this mean that "NO Permits" required for CC or anything else ?? The Green county (Springfield) Sheriff said he thinks "Less Laws" are a good Idea. He has no reservations about citizens bearing arms of any Kind. He also said that his dept. and most all others consider EVERYONE armed anyway. ...... :p

#8 ·
in·al·ien·a·ble
inˈālēənəb(ə)l/
adjective
unable to be taken away from or given away by the possessor.

The final draft of the constitution replaced the word "inalienable" with "uninalienalbe". Which is interchaneable with the exact same meaning. John Adams supervised the final wording. Of course Rights can be revoked as in the case of Felony and other legal convictions, The Right to vote, bearing arms, owning arms, ect.

Will be interesting as to how the Legal Beagles sort this one out.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.