Brass

Discussion in 'Ammo & Reloading' started by New2Marlins, Jan 20, 2017.

1. New2Marlins

New2Marlins Member

I'm new to the ... 45/70 ... lever rifles ... and the forum. I intend to load my own, later on. I'm not in a hurry. So, in the meantime ... is there a preferred brass manufacture for the 1895-45/70? So far I've got a box of Hornady and Remington.

Are these good brass? I'd rather not have a bunch of mixed brass when the time comes.

2. squirrelhunter

squirrelhunter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Hornady and Remington are real good brass,Remington is about all I'll buy other than Starline if I can't find Remington or Hornady.

3. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

I've never been able to tell any difference, especially with a straight walled case. But I originally started with Starline so I stick with it.

4. New2Marlins

New2Marlins Member

Never used any of them. Do they stretch much after the first trim?

5. 444Hal

444Hal Well-Known Member

Not really, probably because there's no shoulder.

6. Bucky

Bucky Well-Known Member

All my .444 brass is Remington Peters.
    I was once told that because you only push down on the brass straight walled cases they shrink, so only expect 2 or 3 reloads.
    Well, well, well, it didn't take long to find out that the cases do grow enuf for me to trim them back to the recommended length.

7. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Starline has great pricing and FREE SHIPPING FOR online orders.

As a note for you .308 loaders, Starline now makes .308 brass. Its thicker than other Mfg., like Lake City Military brass ...... :cool:

8. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Thanks buddy. I use .308 brass. Now if you can talk them into 30-30 brass I will like it even better. I am going to be trading off my Savage 11VT for a semi custom AR. I will keep my 30-30. It will be my only 30 cal.

9. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

The only necked brass they make is for the .357 Sig., And new this year is the .308. Last year when I was up there (they are right next door to Sierra Bullets) they were building an addition on. The Girl at the counter said it was for making necked brass. So maybe if the .308 goes good they will expand the necked offerings.

10. hombre243

hombre243 Well-Known Member

Our old friend Jon Weatherspoon who passed away last year or so lived close by the Sierra factory and sent me a few hundred blemished round nose .308s while I was in Texas. I still have some loaded ones in my 30-30 loads and I want to hang on to them.