Break-In My Unfired 338

Discussion in 'Lever Action' started by 28Shooter, Feb 17, 2012.

1. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I recently bought an unfired .338 ME and could really use some advice from you veteran Marlin shooters on the best way to break-in the barrel. I normally buy used guns and it's been a long time since I actually had to break-in a barrel. Thanks.

2. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

To be honest, those break-in procedures really never did much for my rifles but
    after shooting maybe 100-200 rounds I noticed my groups don't move from
    cold to hot barrel. I think its the amount you shoot that seasons it not the funky
    shoot clean shoot clean method.

3. greyhawk50

greyhawk50 Well-Known Member

I would agree. IMO, just shoot it and clean it as you would any other rifle. Just be careful not to over-heat the barrel.

4. 28Shooter

28Shooter Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Thanks guys, your advice is much appreciated and confirms the method I always used in the past to break in guns. This new shoot-clean-shoot method that some folks are pushing would give me a lot of angst as a range safety officer with full benches and a busy range.

5. JohnnyLoco

JohnnyLoco Well-Known Member

28shooter,

Make sure you understand that there are folks that swear by a proper break-in and feel it does make a difference.

6. Ac_Man1962

Ac_Man1962 Active Member

I cannot speak for no one but me.... My 2008 338 was new when I got it in Jan 2009..... I could not get mine to group worth a darn...... until I quit cleaning the barrel after every 10 shots... After about 10-12 rounds the group started to tighten up.... by 15 rounds through barrel she was getting there...... Thus the gun got her name... " Dirty Girl"..... take your time... just not let the barrel get too hot sighting her in....

7. MarkAD

MarkAD Member

I am all for proper break-in on bench rest a long distance precision guns. But my 30-30 had near a 100 rounds before i bother cleaning it.

8. dinger1

dinger1 Member

break-in

I got a 336y , on the first few shots it shot 1.5 inch groups. after about 50 shots it still fits about 1.5 inches. You dont need to break-in a lever gun, just shoot it