Marlin Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got an RC 336 with the straight buttstock, it has a crack running from the tang back into the wood, and a big chip has broken off at the tang. :eek: Aside from repair, where might I find an replacement butt, even used good condition? Thanks, Dun
Can contact via the thread or thru the board or Can contact directly @ [email protected]

·
Registered
853 Posts
Finding a new one shouldn't be too difficult through Numrich or Brownells. A used one can sometimes be found on ebay if you have the patience.

·
Banned
7,853 Posts
Without seeing it i would say for safety reasons replace it.Just my opion

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Greyhawk, thanks for the links, the only one I had found was Boyds. Have decided on the Macon figured walnut which should be a straight swap and not a lot of fitting. Have some deciding to do as to how I'll finish the wood... min-wax springs to mind! NOT!

·
Registered
2 Posts
hi--Alot of folks like the look of a straight linseed oil finish. Some also use a turpintine/linseed mix. About 5% turp. If you go this route be sure to get the linseed at a wood yard,or cabinet supply house. Not a big box store. Yes there is a difference!

As to a varnished look, I have seen pieces of wood with 8 to 10 coats,sanded that you could swear you are looking deep into the grain..

As to both methods, get yourself some sample pieces of wood and practice.

willr28

1 - 6 of 6 Posts