Can't find nothing on this one !!!

Discussion in 'Marlin Rimfires' started by SWO1, Nov 21, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

Everything I can find on em, its a Model 80 Marlin made for sears 1934-1939. Made in three models, Single shot, Removable Magizine fed ( 7 shot), and tublar magizine. Starting in 1940 Sears labeled their Store Brand J.C. Higgins.

According to several sites the year can be verified by the type of saftey. 34-36 (some say 35) they had a twist saftey by rotating the bolt out of the slot on the receiver. After that they had trigger block saftey.

SHOW US A PICTURE.....Please

2. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

It was Jc Higgins then it went to Ted Williams

3. SWO1

Thats right FOUR4D4. When I was researching Ranger I found this interesting info about J.C. Higgins. He was an actual person who worked for Sears. Started in the bookeeping dept. Made it all the way to Vice President before he retired. When he did retire thats when they changed the brand to Ted Williams. His real Name was John Higgins, no middle name. The Advertising people decided that J.C. Higgins was a better name than John or J. Higgins. And there is no documentation or evidence he was even a sportsman...knew nothing about the stuff.....:)

4. FOUR4D4

FOUR4D4 Well-Known Member

I didnt know that about J.C.Higgins

5. Kentucky_Transplant

Kentucky_Transplant Active Member

Thanks for the info! I didn't realize they made three different styles with the same model #. Mine is a single shot with a very thin stock. It shoots fine but the extractor doesn't work too well. Best I can tell, this one has no safety on it. Nothing turns. You need only pull thing firing pin back manually & pull trigger.

So would that make it a 1934?
    Kelly

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      57.4 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      61 KB
      Views:
  6. SWO1

Does it cock when you operate the bolt ? Mine does

With the bolt cocked, grasp the knurled end of the bolt and turn until the protrusion on top of the bolt rotates out of the slot on top of the reciever. That is the saftey. It will prevent the bolt from going home when the trigger is pulled. To take it off, simply rotate back until the protrusion is back in line with the slot. According to what i could find that type of saftey was changed in, some say 35 some say 36. In any case Marlin went to a trigger block saftey (dont know what that looks like on the old 80s) So its either a 34-35 or 34-36.

7. SWO1

I've decided to put the old model 80 aside for awhile. I tried everything to get the scope lined up. two different scope rails, adjustable rings. the holes are just to far off center. Will have to send it to a good smith to have new holes drilled and probley custom mounts. Have a line on one about 40 miles from here. right now two many things goin on that are head of the line. some time next year....:mad: After the first of the year back to the .223 bench rifle. then its rebuilding the range.