Countdown to "Thunder Chicken" season

Discussion in 'Hunting Forum' started by SWO1, Aug 27, 2012.

1. SWO1

SWO1 Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporting

I got this one all dressed out whole. It will go in the Deep Fryer. The other one is cut up into breasts, legs, thighs, and wings. Nothin better than fried Wild Turkey. Will have a couple Turkey Shoots this month also, but I give away those Domestic Ones to the Church, Senior Citizens Kitchen and the Neighbor. As long as the Hams and Bacon last I take those instead of Turkey.

I used Federal "SHOK" Heavy Weight #5 in the 20. Had "1" pellet up side the head. Reason I only took 2 was thats all I had left from last year out of a box of 5 I got for testing. At about $3 a pop not worth it IMO.

2. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Congrats! N-joy "Franklin's Bird" Going this evening to burn some pistol/AR rounds and check on the birds...may just have to give 'em a go in the AM.

3. SWO1

This morning it will be just the youngest grandson, Cameron and me out. A little storm came in about 4 this morning. Right now not raining but might have the birds out in the fields. Im not sitting in the tall grass...to many chiggers. Not high hopes for today, but ya never know. I gave em a rest yesterday. Tomorrow might be good if the sun comes out after a rain they like to scratch around in the woods. If nothing this morning will go back to the reloading bench this afternoon. Will go out about 8-8:30.

4. SWO1

We went out at 8.
    It rained the whole 3 hours
    We got wet
    Got NO TURKEYS
    Got our butts home, warm and dry now.

Its 48.....already. 4-14" of SNOW in ND and Minn this morning. ITS FALL in the Midwest. Gonna be a great HUNTING SEASON.........:D

5. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Rain and Wind cancelled my thoughts on setting or walking in the woods. IT's downright chilly outside now. Plenty of time to collect one once the rains that we needed desperately have settled. Good luck 1 & all.

6. SWO1

Last two days a big ole Gobbler has been aggravating the heck out of me. sittin on my brothers porch he will come out about 200 yds up the field next to the pond. If you move off the porch he is gone. Goin up there you can just catch a glimpse of him trottin off into the thick brush. Hour later he is back.

Tomorrow morning Im gonna go up and conceal under a cedar tree at the edge of the field next to the pond....AND WAIT....

One more and Im done for the season. All the rest have been hens, so finishing with a Gobbler will be great.

MY MISSION.....GONNA GET THAT SUCKER.....

7. SWO1

Went to my gunshop and picked up my order and the HiPoint 40S&W. Pullin back into the drive.....THERE HE WAS...Along the fence line by the road. Pulled into my brothers, went to the house and got the gun.

Walked along the pond bank shielded from the front field and fence by the trees. When I came out the other end, peered up over the pond bank.....BINGO....STILL THERE. About 50 yards out. He saw me and started up the fence line towards the brush. Couldnt outrun the 835 and the Win 3.5". All done for the season now. Will take this one and give it to my brother-in law as he hasnt had a chance to get out yet this year. He is a Jake but a pretty good sized one. Not the big tom.....but is 20 lbs.

Attached Files:

8. 1894

1894 Well-Known Member

Dang , you are efficient Sir.
    Less than 3 hours apart in posts , you had a plan for tomorrow . Then went to your lgs , picked up your order and the hi-point , returned and saw your target , acquired proper weapon , put a stealthy "end around " flanking your target , mission accomplished and back here with pics . :cool::cool::cool:

Great way to end your turkey season !!! Congrats !! and thanks for sharing !!

9. SWO1

Efficient......Ehhhh I dunnno about that. Luck I would say. Makes up for the times Ive spent in the weeds with nothin to show but CHIGGER BITES....And with everything right here.....dont take to long.....SOMETIMES.........:rolleyes:

10. Spoon

Spoon Well-Known Member

Geeze...just in time before the winterish cold front comes blowing in today. Congrats on the harvest. I bet your brother will enjoy him since you chose to let him have some distance where the young Tom wouldn't be shot to pieces :D